• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk of some sorts? (1 Viewer)

Redbecka

I took this about two years ago in south western PA. I was by the water with when he flew above me. I would say he is bigger than a chicken. It was in the summer months. What I am finding curious is the stripe on his tail. I haven't seen any other birds like that.

Attachments

• 10535755_703216336418337_4285005767730818734_o.jpg
    10535755_703216336418337_4285005767730818734_o.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 108
Thanks Randy. I did research on the net some time ago and never did come across this type of hawk. I just did a search by the name and walla. Thanks again.

An adult Broad-winged Hawk as Randy says. A sign of spring and summer to dream about on this cold icy March day.

They are very common in PA and throughout the wooded areas of North East and North Central USA and Canada in the spring and summer. They start to migrate in August and are seen more often then. They have their nests in the woods and are secretive during breeding season. In my experience the best places to see them in the spring and summer are in areas which have large tracts of woods interspersed with farm land. Drive around rural roads in areas like that. Sometimes you will see them perched on telephone wires.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back