• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Australian hawks, Thornbill and ? (1 Viewer)

Greg McKay

I like the pretty colors
4 more from Hatth Kulkyne N.P Victoria.
It was a great couple of days for those interested.
We managed to find and photograph Mallee fowl and Mallee emu wren. 2 raries and hard to find

I need help confirmation with these raptors and thornbills though.
The raptors judging by the long middle to I believe to be Brown goshawks as opposed to Collared Sparrowhawks. (different birds)

The yellow bird I reckon is a Yellow Thornbill and I thought the last photo to be of a brown thornbill but the white spots on the underside of the tail feathers suggest not?

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 41
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 50
Mallee Emu-wren is a good get, nice!

The raptors look like Brown Goshawk to me - look very similar in tail moult, any chance they could be the same bird?

The yellow bird is a Weebill, they get yellower inland I think, note the pale eyebrow and stubby bill

Not so sure about the last one at this point, thornbill sp.

John

2 different birds
One taken by the wife out of the car window 50km from the other.

Do you like the Emu wren?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 47
Greg,

I think the two hawks are Brown Goshawks - they look thick enough through the rear, and the heads project nicely. I think the ratty tails just scrape in too. The middle toe is long, but on a Collared Sparrowhawk would be even longer (2x).

Don't have enough info on hand for the other two, and the colours look a bit super-saturated or something, but from memory, I think all the yellow thornbills I've seen were yellower than any of the weebills I've seen. Ditto gerygones.

Chosun :gh:

John

2 different birds
One taken by the wife out of the car window 50km from the other.

Do you like the Emu wren?

Very much :t:. Hopefully will get over for a look for them in the next couple of years!

Interesting that the two birds look to be in very similar tail moult, guess it's that time of year

Guys
teh 4th bird still confuses me
It looks like a Thornbill but the tail suggest maybe Gerygone but even the spots on the undertail I can't find a match to.
Help me pleeeeeease

Attachments

• Tail.jpg
    Tail.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 18
Still thornbill, sp. I think Striated or Brown Thornbill, which though I'm not sure. Probably leaning towards Striated. I think the outer tail feathers are new and still growing (may be wrong)

A yellowish bum on a 'brown' coloured is usually indicative of Striated... I would like to see the head to be sure of.

The tail and wing moult of the 'two' Goshawks is very similar (identical) and I would be inclined to say that they are the same bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back