• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-collared Seedeater in Acapulco? (1 Viewer)

HelenB

Opus Editor and Expat from Cumbria
Opus Editor
Also on our stop in Acapulco, Mexico, a couple of weeks ago, we saw this little fellow. He was deep in the shade, but the photos have lightened up quite well. I'm pretty sure he's a White-collared Seedeater, but again he doesn't quite match the pix in the field guide.

Would appreciate a confirmation or correction!

TIA

Attachments

• IMG_1193ed.jpg
    IMG_1193ed.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_1194ed.jpg
    IMG_1194ed.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 197
Katie,
You're right on again. A male White-collared Seedeater, Sporophila torqueola. There are 3 geographic groups, torqueola (yours), sharpei, and morelleti (the one I have here in Campeche).

ps: when are we going to see that trip report?

Dave B Smith said:
Katie,

ps: when are we going to see that trip report?

I've been working on it this weekend, but can't post anything till I get all those ID's sorted out. I know some will have to remain LBJ's - certainly some from Costa Rica. You were absolutely right about us not being able to do much there in 8 hours! Did get a Green-breasted Mango and a White-tipped Sicklebill, but several other species of hummer will be forever unidentified. We are planning a return 2 week trip for early next year, as we missed the Scarlet Macaws, too.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Social Flycatcher and the W.C. Seedeater.

Helen,
White-tipped Sicklebill is a fantastic bird. Glad you got to see one. I saw my only one way out of range, it was here in Chiapas, Mexico!! But there is no mistaking one.

Great job on your record photos for the two birds you posted. I had a new flycatcher here Sat. and got great views and description, but can't find anything close in any of my field guides. Unlike you however, I didn't get that record shot to post here 8-(

Dave,
I got a very poor photo of the Sicklebill, as it was hiding very low under the huge leaves of an ornamental banana plant, or something similar. Our guide spotted it and id'd it on the spot as a hermit, but when I checked my photo later I could see enough of the streaked breast and much more curved bill to say to myself - this is not a hermit! We bought a Canon Digital Rebel for the trip and it has been giving us great results on most occasions.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back