• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

some sort of warbler? (1 Viewer)

dylan

United Kingdom
Hi all, I'm cataloging the pictures I've taken so far (for inevitable website:) and am having difficulty identifying this bird.
It was perched on a wire in Wales.
I'm pretty new to birding and I'm (still) at the stage where I take pictures then look in my book later to see what it was!
Anyone help with the ID?
Thanks

Dylan.

Attachments

• bird_on_a_wire.jpg
    bird_on_a_wire.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 861
Hi Dylan
That bird looks to me like a Chifchaff (Phylloscopus collybita).
It might olso be a Willow Warbler (Phylloscopus trochilus) but That one has a brighter pinkish legs and a brighter stipe above the eye, so Ithink it's aChifchaff.

this is so weird.....

This morning in garden pair of tiny birds I've never seen before, off to house for guide books, 2 hrs later finally made up my mind that they were Willow Warblers but the Chifchaff resemblance really threw me!!!!! It's a good job they were good enough to stick around long enuff for me to have a lengthy deliberation!! Just lately it seems every new bird I see closely resembles something else - sure doesn't make life easy for the novice birder!!!

El Annie

PS yet another first for Annie :bounce:
that's 3 this week :bounce: B :) :D

Thanks Avib, I'd pretty much narrowed it down to a willow warbler, but I thought a trained eye might help. I see what you're saying about the chiffchaff.
Warbler family do seem to have very subtle differences.

"Just lately it seems every new bird I see closely resembles something else", I know what you're saying El Annie. I've just got to the point where I can say "that's a Warbler" with some confidence, and now it's "which type?" We'll get the hang of it I'm sure.

Dylan.

Hi Dylan and El Annie,
Firstly,this is definitely a Chiffchaff of the nominate race collybita,which is the race that breeds commonly throughout Britain and Ireland,wintering in small numbers.
Secondly,don't worry!Warblers are tough,especially when you're starting out(I remember those days well),but with practice you will become more familiar with them.
Hope this helps,
Harry

Thanks Harry,
the other types of bird that are still confusing me are Gulls and to a lesser extent Waders, I've never really taken much notice of them until recently.
I'll probably be posting a few more pleas for Id's:)

Dylan.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back