• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

It's in there somewhere (1 Viewer)

herring99

Well its the final UFO from the honeymoon piccies. I can't find me notes on it at present to give you more help, except that it was seen from the ruins at Machu Picchu in Peru and was largish warbler size with a paler underbelly.

Herring

PS its on the far right of the picture.

Attachments

• unknown.jpg
    unknown.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 297
Charles Harper said:
Can see neither bill nor tail. Is it a spinetail sp.?

Good call Charles. Could be Azara's Spinetail, which I remember seeing in the superb gardens of the Pueblo Hotel, below the ruins.

Machu Picchu must be one of the best tourist sites for birding anywhere in the world. One of my favourite areas, and I must go back to see Inca Wren, which has eluded me twice.

Steve

Last edited:
Steve Lister said:
Good call Charles. Could be Azara's Spinetail, which I remember seeing in the superb gardens of the Pueblo Hotel, below the ruins.

Machu Picchu must be one of the best tourist sites for birding anywhere in the world. One of my favourite areas, and I must go back to see Inca Wren, which has elided me twice.

Steve
I'd go with Azara's spinetail too.
Agree about the gardens of the Pueblo - great birding. We used shameless bluffing to get in - swan in as if you own the place!
Fortunate enough to see Inca wren a few miles from MP (recorded a pair duetting then brought them out by playing back their own song, all with a little dictaphone).

Rob

Yep. others got the id right. Remember to specify (on your own list - if you keep one of those). It is likely to be split into several species in the future... but guess the funds for doing it officially (in Cotinga, The Auk or similar) are lacking. Though I'd have to say that the trail going up to the ruins from Agua Caliente beats the birding around the Pueblo Hotel. But both are amazing, it's rather like "great, greater, greatest"!

Couldn't help it, had to add a final comment!

If you get a chance of being somewhere where Azaras Spinetail is found, try "pishing". You know, the "pss, pss, pss" sound (alarm). Sometimes they go crazy over it, and allow you views that would otherwise be impossible without a tape of the actual song.

Last edited:
:eek!: Wow another dead one cleared up....... is this a conspiracy or something? Again thanks for the help, did't think I'd get an id on this one.

Herring

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back