• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Swaro Pockets (1 Viewer)

I got the CL 10x25's and I find the eyecups come up a little short. My eyelash blacks out and I find myself holding the top of the eyepeice against my eyesocket while the bottom is out and exposed to stray light.

I already did my practice run for how to mod the eyecups a little longer with no damage to the binocular. I'm modding them for sure. I had that perfect circle with black around it and my whole eye in the cup comfortably. I 'm getting sick of holding glass a half inch from my face and wish these very expensive manufacturers would get their acts together, this happens constantly to my bins except the FL10x42 and 8x32. Wouldn't surprise me if Zeiss made their new conquest line a bit too short.

All Zeiss Victory FL's have 16mm eye relief if I'm not mistaken, and if they are like my 7x42 they also have very large and wide eye cup rims and I think that also makes a difference in helping out in eye placement.

The eye cup rims on the 8/10x25 CL Ps are really quite small and I think that is why I find the 8x30 CL easier for me to use than the the 8x25 CL P which has 2mm longer ER than the CL does. They are also larger than the eye cup rims on the discontinued 8x30SLC although the ER is the same and here I also find the 8x30 CL easier to use.

Bob

I got the CL 10x25's and I find the eyecups come up a little short. My eyelash blacks out and I find myself holding the top of the eyepeice against my eyesocket while the bottom is out and exposed to stray light.

I already did my practice run for how to mod the eyecups a little longer with no damage to the binocular. I'm modding them for sure. I had that perfect circle with black around it and my whole eye in the cup comfortably. I 'm getting sick of holding glass a half inch from my face and wish these very expensive manufacturers would get their acts together, this happens constantly to my bins except the FL10x42 and 8x32. Wouldn't surprise me if Zeiss made their new conquest line a bit too short.

They did, but Zeiss made longer eyecups for the Conquest HDs, which they will send you for free.

Brock

A good thing to know Brock but I must say I'm still amazed how many alpha manufacturers still F this up on a regular basis. Just because your objectives got half the size doesn't mean your eyes did.

I traded my 10x25's for the 8x25's and I'm glad I did This way I'm taking advantage of the 25% larger objective than all the other top makers. And the tens were a bit shaky.

This is my first pair of Swaro's and i really love these things. The color fidelity looks exactly like my Zeiss Victory 8x32's, perfect. The only problem I have now is they are starting to sag against their own weight, the hinges cant hold the metal tubes. I hope there's a thread around about that issue.

I traded my 10x25's for the 8x25's and I'm glad I did This way I'm taking advantage of the 25% larger objective than all the other top makers. And the tens were a bit shaky.

This is my first pair of Swaro's and i really love these things. The color fidelity looks exactly like my Zeiss Victory 8x32's, perfect. The only problem I have now is they are starting to sag against their own weight, the hinges cant hold the metal tubes. I hope there's a thread around about that issue.

That shouldn't happen. The 8x25s aren't any bigger than the 10x25s were (and are). Send them back to SONA and they will tighten the hinges for you. Someone here did it himself by popping off those tiny hinge covers it has, but why bother?

Bob

Last edited:
I tested these CL recently on the local bird fair, I like the sharpness and FOV not really constraint on my eyes. Recommended for those who shoot with long lenses

I bought a pair of Swarvoski 8x25 for use on non birding holiday trips with my wife. They fit nicely in my LowePro sling camera bag together with lightweight waterproof jacket and a micro four thirds camera and lenses.
I am still impressed with my wife's Nikon 8x20 HGL with a much nicer leather case and rainguards, but I went for the larger objectives of the Swarovski.
Used then in the Venice Lagoon and they were good especially in the less than good light.
Pretty much agree with ZDHart above

Last edited:
Very interesting. The Swaro 8x20 is too small and with too small ocular lenses to work with eyeglasses for me. Maybe the new 8x25 will work?
Larger eye lenses with 4mm longer eye relief is a big improvement.
I will definitely take a look at this new 8x25!

I have had a pair of these for about 3 weeks now and I am loving them!! I work in Manhattan and get to walk through central park on my way to work in the morning and these fit perfectly in my bag. I have a 8x32 conquest Hd and find the view through these to be just as sharp and for some reason more enjoyable than the Conquests. The colors and contrast just seem to be nicer in these, but they do have less fov and are more finicky with the eye placement. They are extremely comfortable in my hands and the focus is so smooth. They feel extremely well made and have a nice weight without being overly heavy. The case is also very high quality and perfectly sized and padded.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back