• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovision EL 10x42 (Demo) (1 Viewer)

Tmblweed1

Just ordered a pair of Swarovski EL Swarovision 10x42 Binoculars for 2199.00 w/ free overnight shipping from Eagle Optics. (I had ruled out buying these at full price) They are demos but they assured me they are in new condition. Way looking forward to getting this glass after trying them out a few days ago. For anyone interested they have a pair of the 8.5x42's (demo) for about 30 bucks more. You have a 30 day full refund guarantee.

Last edited:
I have see these first hand, and don't believe you will ever need anything better. That's if there ever is anything better overall.

Last edited:
So far, so good.

Tmblweed,

Good to hear. Chances were in your favor since most users either don't experience "rolling ball" or see it but soon adapt. The 10x42 model also has a bit more pincushion than the 8.5x model, which has the least amount in the SV EL series.

Whatever you do, don't intellectualize it. ;)

Brmblngbush

Tmblweed,

Good to hear. Chances were in your favor since most users either don't experience "rolling ball" or see it but soon adapt. The 10x42 model also has a bit more pincushion than the 8.5x model, which has the least amount in the SV EL series.

Brmblngbush

Brock:

I agree any of the Swarovski's mentioned will be a very good choice.

I see your location has changed, are you spending your summer up
in the Catskill's ? :t:

Jerry

Tmblweed,

Brmblngbush

We went to Bass Pro today and bought the 8.5 x 42 model
(EL Swarovision) to compare with the 10's. After a side by side comparison the 10x42 wins out for me. The extra FOV was nice but with all the lakes around us for viewing wildlife from the shore the increased magnification won out. Both are phenomenal bins though. So, the 8.5's go back tomm. Happy 4th everyone! (And the RB was more pronounced in the 8.5's as you suggested it would be.)

Last edited:
Brock:

I agree any of the Swarovski's mentioned will be a very good choice.

I see your location has changed, are you spending your summer up
in the Catskill's ? :t:

Jerry

During the summers I teach formal dances to lonely wives at the Kellerman Resort, and they're pretty good tippers if I make the right moves.

I also put on shows with my dance partner, but she got herself into trouble and now I'm trying to train a new partner. She's a little young but her father was a song and dance man on Broadway, so I think it will work out.

Brock

We went to Bass Pro today and bought the 8.5 x 42 model
(EL Swarovision) to compare with the 10's. After a side by side comparison the 10x42 wins out for me. The extra FOV was nice but with all the lakes around us for viewing wildlife from the shore the increased magnification won out. Both are phenomenal bins though. So, the 8.5's go back tomm. Happy 4th everyone! (And the RB was more pronounced in the 8.5's as you suggested it would be.)

The weather here yesterday was exceptional for July 4th, low humidity and 72* high for the day. Saw some great bands and had a ring side seat for the fireworks, which are rated "among the top five Largest, Biggest, Best 4th of July Fireworks show in the United States."

4th Fest

Hope you enjoyed your holiday, too. Now I'm back in the Catskills teaching dance to wrinkly old woman with strong perfume (cough! cough!).

Glad to hear you decided between the two, and that you were able to see the difference in RB. Where I bird the woods are thick and close-in, so wide field and lower power work best.

When I do get out and about to more open landscapes, I miss having my tens (10x42 SE and 10x35 EII). I plan to buy a Swaro 10x42 SLC-HD after I hit the PowerBall.

Brock

The weather here yesterday was exceptional for July 4th, low humidity and 72* high for the day. Saw some great bands and had a ring side seat for the fireworks, which are rated "among the top five Largest, Biggest, Best 4th of July Fireworks show in the United States."

4th Fest

Hope you enjoyed your holiday, too. Now I'm back in the Catskills teaching dance to wrinkly old woman with strong perfume (cough! cough!).

Glad to hear you decided between the two, and that you were able to see the difference in RB. Where I bird the woods are thick and close-in, so wide field and lower power work best.

When I do get out and about to more open landscapes, I miss having my tens (10x42 SE and 10x35 EII). I plan to buy a Swaro 10x42 SLC-HD after I hit the PowerBall.

Brock

I like having the wife with me and she can't do the "hiking in the woods " thing. So we seek out nice overlooks nearby or maybe hit the Blue Ridge parkway here in the smokies. You teach dance? That sounds pretty cool to a wallflower like me! Enjoy your birding and good luck.

Last edited:
Is my thinking wrong, or are the $1999 deals for a new EL 10X42 SV on eBay going to look pretty cheap in a couple of months ?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back