• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Very Busy Morning at Yogyakarta's Townpark (32 species, 3 endemics) (1 Viewer)

cendrawasih

Curious Birder
Yesterday, me and my birdwatching club from my university managed to watch some bird around our campuss (Yogyakarta State University) and our neighbouring campuss (Gadjah Mada University). There are some town park (or maybe forest patch, because it's really like a small forest) that save the bird's life in the middle of city. There are also a nesting colony of Gray Heron and Black-crowned Night Heron, it's little bit odd they choose this busy, full-of-student area to build their nest. To see this huge bird in the middle of most Java's big city is odd too.
We had a big party, many newbie joined this trip and i counted about 20 people here. I came late so i missed birding part at Yogya State University, but they didn't find any interesting bird anyway. Me and my friend waited at "UGM Valley", A big, isolated and silent townpark with a lake in the center of it. There were many Common Iora, Sooty-headed Bulbul, Cave Swiflet, House Swift, Yellow-vented Bulbul and Eurasian Tree Sparrow. A Plaintive Cuckoo were heard but never seen, like usual.
We met our groups and walked again. Some Javan Munia, Spotted Dove, Zebra Dove, Javan Myna and a Common Myna were seen on a softball grassy field, the later is now a feral species, an escaped bird first observed around 2000 and now widespread in some parts of Java. We moved to the lake to find Blue-eared Kingfisher and White-breasted Waterhen. I saw the Kingfishers, but our loud and crowded party scared them away before all people saw it. We waited for several minutes and saw the Waterhen. Knowing that our groups are too loud and the kingfisher didn't likely come back in this situation, we moved to the Heron's nesting area and saw Pied Fantail, Fulvous-breasted Woodpecker (Spot-breasted Pied Woodpecker), Common Tailorbird and maybe the endemic Olive-winged Woodpecker.
We saw the Gray Heron and Black-crowned Night Heron, with some juvenile in nest. Another birds seen here were Scarlet-headed Flowerpecker, White-breasted Woodswallow, Scaly-breasted and White-headed Munia (both have a nest on a nearby palm trees), a Cattle Egret, 4 unidentified 'accipiter' raptors, Long-tailed Shrike, Olive-backed Sunbird, another Blue-eared Kingfisher, and Black-naped Oriole. A voice of Coppersmith Barbet closed our birdwatching trip today.
On my way back home, i got 3 new species for the day: Small Minivet, Edible-nest Swiflet and the endemic Javan Kingfisher. Yeah, great day!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back