• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EL vs. SLC eye cups - Does this make sense? (1 Viewer)

Marley

EL vs. SLC eye cups - Question

All,

As I have noted on other posts, excessive ER causes irritating blackouts for me, especially with my otherwise wonderful 8.5x42 ELs. In playing with them, I can all but rid myself of this problem by unscrewing the eye cups ALL the way, so that the threads do not engage the binocular body. With them just sitting on top of the eye pieces, I can finally call these bins outstanding.

Now I realize that not having the eye cups threaded onto the binocular is asking for trouble, as they might very well fall out. Unfortunately, this is the optimal configuration for me.

Recent reviews of the new SLC line show that the eye cups are now removable. Swarovski has, in their infinite wisdom, also increased the ER on some of these bins to 22 and 23 mm (pretty soon we will be measuring in cm, you just wait!). I got to thinking that if Swaro used the same eye cup design for the SLC as they did for the EL and if they are extending the ER out to 22 or 23 mm, perhaps I can order the new SLC eye cups for my EL!!!! In doing so, I could adjust both above and below the 18 mm ER of the ELs, as the SLC cups would be longer.

I have written to Swarovski this evening and I will report back regarding what they have to say.

I was just wondering if anyone had purchased or at least played with the new SLCs and if so, do the eye cups resemble those of the EL?

Thanks to anyone that might be able to provide some information.

Best regards,

Steffan

Last edited:
Marley said:
All,

... Recent reviews of the new SLC line show that the eye cups are now removable. Swarovski has, in their infinite wisdom, also increased the ER on some of these bins to 22 and 23 mm (pretty soon we will be measuring in cm, you just wait!).

... I got to thinking that if Swaro used the same eye cup design for the SLC as they did for the EL and if they are extending the ER out to 22 or 23 mm, ...

Steffan,

I don't understand. The SLC eyecups have been completely removable for several years and work the same way as the ELs. If the ER is being extended on some SLCnew models, I guess they would be modifying the eyepiece design as well as the eyecup length.

Regards,
-elk

Steffan,

I hope you are lucky and the diameter of the eyecup coincides with that of a longer one for another model. If not, any competent machinist will be able to - for a price - make you eyecups of just the length you specify if you take the original ones to them for measuring.

Kimmo

elkcub said:
Steffan,

I don't understand. The SLC eyecups have been completely removable for several years and work the same way as the ELs.

Regards,
-elk

Hi Elk,

I certainly can't speak for other 10x42 SLC owners, but my eye cups are not removeable, at least not in the same way as the ELs. There is no mention of any removeable quality in the user's manual and you can see that they are of a different configuation when comparing them with the ELs.

I have even tried a reasonable amount of force to see if they do unscrew and they do not. I guess I could get a vise-grip out and really go at them, but I have a feeling that my answer would not change. ;)

If you or others feel that the SLC has had the EL cups for years, I may be able to go to Swaro with a complaint, as I just recently bought mine. On the other hand, the literature and box do advertise Swarobright coatings, so they shouldn't be that old.

Best regards,

Steffan (grew up in the Bay Area, but left 10 years ago!) ;)

If the new cup can fold shorter for more eye relief, than the extended relief is probably longer as well. Right, a longer short end of the range also?

All,

Here is the update as promised:

I just spoke with Swarovski and they confirmed that:

A) The SLC eye cups (both old and new models) are removeable. Elk, I will get out the vise grips when I get home. Swaro assured me that, while the older version SLC's eye cups are different than the ELs, they are removeable and if I were to break them while trying to remove them, they would certainly replace them free of charge.

B) There ARE longer eye cups available for the ELs! I think that they use the new SLC style, as many are designed for longer ER. The technician stated that this problem, while not very common, has come up before. Swaro has simply sent out a pair of eye cups that are designed for 21 mm of ER instead of the normal 18 mm version and the problem seems to be solved.

Needless to say, I have a pair of 21mm eye cups on the way to my residence at this moment, free of charge. I certainly have to applaud Swarovski customer service. They are just outstanding. You might have to pay top dollar for their products, but when problems are solved this easily, it is well worth the extra dollars (IMHO). :clap:

I will write back once I have the new cups in place. With any luck at all, this fix will restore the 8.5x42 ELs to the top of my binocular heap!!

Best regards,

Steffan

Last edited:
Steffan,

Excellent news, sure beats having your own custom made prototypes!

Out of curiosity, do the new 21mm eyecups screw in all the way if needed, or do they stay slightly extended? If they do screw in all the way, perhaps they could be made standard - with a bit of extra friction added so they always stay where you leave them. Although click-stop eyecups are sort of nice and make a good sales pitch feature, the only way to please everyone is to have no predetermined click-stops and enough of an adjustment range. Same goes for click-stop diopter adjustment.

Kimmo

Marley said:
Hi Elk,

... If you or others feel that the SLC has had the EL cups for years, I may be able to go to Swaro with a complaint, as I just recently bought mine. On the other hand, the literature and box do advertise Swarobright coatings, so they shouldn't be that old...

Steffan,

Wow! Maybe a gorilla assembled your 10x42 SLC. The company has been very accommodating to me as well, so let us know what happens. I agree with Kimmo that more continuous adjustment range for eyecups would be an improvement. Swaro seems to have the stiction about right, — except in your case. :(

Grew up in the Bay Area? That does make sense. You do sound like a reasonable fellow ... must be the upbringing. ;)

-elk

NNNNIIIIICCCCEEEE!!!!!. NOW THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!

I just received the replacement eye cups for the 8.5 ELs and that did the trick! I can pan and move around and there is absolutely no hint of blackouts.

As noted earlier, I opted to replace the standard 18mm ER eye cups with a set of 21mm ER cups (now found on the latest version of the 8x50 SLC Swaro part number 643-0319). They fit in place just like the originals and they screw flush with the binocular body, just like the originals. You would never know that they were any different except that they stick out another 3mm when deployed, and that has made all of the difference.

I have to say, whether you like or dislike Swaro bins, the customer service simply can't be beat. Replacement eye cups sent UPS to my door at no-charge: priceless.

I tip my hat to Swarovski! :clap:

I heartily recommend the eye cup replacement for those that own ELs, do not wear glasses and experience intermittent blackouts. The fix is in!

Best regards,

Steffan

How do you remove the existing eyecups on EL 8.5x42?

Do you just twist them counter-clockwise? I tried that and they just don't come off.

I am having the exact same problem with 8.5x42 EL. Too much eye relief of 18mm and with the eyecups not going up enough, I get intermittent blackouts. I need eyecups that go up about 3mm more. I am trying to resolve the issue with Swarovski now.

How do you remove the existing eyecups on EL 8.5x42?

Do you just twist them counter-clockwise? I tried that and they just don't come off.

I am having the exact same problem with 8.5x42 EL. Too much eye relief of 18mm and with the eyecups not going up enough, I get intermittent blackouts. I need eyecups that go up about 3mm more. I am trying to resolve the issue with Swarovski now.

A guy in a shop once showed me the effect of the booster. He just screwed them off like you open a bottle.
Have you tried the winged eyecups? They look like they are offering more relief.
Tom

I don't want winged eyecups as they cannot easily be used with eyeglasses...

So you just twist off the current eyecups, counter-clockwise to get them off?

I don't want winged eyecups as they cannot easily be used with eyeglasses...

So you just twist off the current eyecups, counter-clockwise to get them off?

The Swarovski winged eyecups fold down for use with eyeglasses. Yes, just keep turning counter-clockwise.

Replacement Long Eye Cups for Excess Eye Relief

I was happy to see that in 2005 Swarovski provided longer eye cups to deal with the blackouts from excess eye relief. I had not luck talking to Eagle Optics about it; they said they don't exist. I am looking for similar ability in Zeiss or other quality bins that sell for about $1,000.

I wonder if they would make me longer eyecups for my CL pockets.

One has to wonder how these binocular companies selling bins for thousands CONSTANTLY mess up with eyecups that are a bit short.

I wonder if they would make me longer eyecups for my CL pockets.

One has to wonder how these binocular companies selling bins for thousands CONSTANTLY mess up with eyecups that are a bit short.

They work for most people. The companies are trying to find the optimum combination of both eye relief and FOV for the most users.

Bob

They work for most people. The companies are trying to find the optimum combination of both eye relief and FOV for the most users.
Bob

Quite true Bob, there are two important factors that play in to this: people hold their binoculars to their eyes in a variety of ways (i.e. have different comfort positions) and a variety of facial forms (distance between eyes, shape of nose, depth of eye depressions) means that there can never be just one absolutely perfect position for everyone and so one is left trying to find a position that fits most.
Incidentally, the current ELs have four eye cup positions to try support this.

I have similar issues with some bins - the eyecups are either too short and I have to hold the bins away from my face to avoid image blackouts or the last indent position is not close enough to the edge of the eyecup where I need it.

Given how people need different eyecup lengths, which seems to becoming more and more common that it makes me wonder if all these companies are making eyecups too short, or if it's our aging baby boomer eyes suffering from presbyopia that might be causing more of us to need longer eyecups?

Whatever the case, the most prudent strategy for bin makers would be to make the eyecups a bit longer to accommodate those who need the extra length, and instead of making three or four stops, find a way to make the eyecups continually variable, so that you can slide the eyecups to any position, from all the way to all the way down and anywhere in between. Doing those two things would accommodate 99% of us, and there would be no need for redesigns like Swaro previously did with the EL eyecups and like Zeiss is doing now with the Conquest HD line.

Win-win situation for the companies and their customers.

Brock

Last edited:
find a way to make the eyecups continually variable, so that you can slide the eyecups to any position, from all the way to all the way down and anywhere in between.

Agree. I'm one of those with an apparently funny face, the eyecup positions never seem to fit me and I always need something half-way in. My Leica Ultravid does exactly what you suggest, eyecups slide in and out without stops, but with enough firmeness to stay in place. Perfect solution for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back