• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barfold Copse (2 Viewers)

I don't know ian.

All the information I've found leads to ownership by the RSPB but, as you say, they don't list it as one of their reserves.

I have come across this before with them but don't know why they do it.

Maybe you could contact them for more information?

I don't kow, but could it be a new aquisition that hasn't been added to the RSPB database or is not yet ready to get the official RSPB listing yet?

There's a PDF file on line that shows the RSPB were owners of the land in 2009!

I don't know the criteria for them listing a 'reserve' on their site.

I do know by doing a little investigating on the internet that the RSPB have quite a number of reserves not listed on there website, including some that you can visit including Barfold Copse. There's also a reserve called Bogside Flats and also a number of reserves near Arne that belongs to the RSPB not listed, called Stodborough Heath, Grange Heath etc.
Ian.

Last edited:
I do know by doing a little investigating on the internet that the RSPB have quite a number of reserves not listed on there website, including some that you can visit including Barfold Copse. There's also a reserve called Bogside Flats and also a number of reserves near Arne that belongs to the RSPB not listed, called Stodborough Heath, Grange Heath etc.
Ian.

I remember trying to visit BC many years ago when I were a lad (that's a bloody long time ago). It was a small woodland reserve down Haslemere way I think. I presume it no longer exists (as a reserve)?

Dave

I remember trying to visit BC many years ago when I were a lad (that's a bloody long time ago). It was a small woodland reserve down Haslemere way I think. I presume it no longer exists (as a reserve)?

Dave

It's still a reserve after all my investigating, as well as a number of other reserves not listed and some you can visit, and some you can't. So why they are not listed I don't know. I emailed the RSPB about this months ago, but I never received a reply and I did phone the correct department dealing with RSPB reserves, but the person at the end of the telephone line couldn't give a difinitive answer. And so I'm still non the wiser.
Ian.

I think they passed it to the Woodland Trust.

Not according to the map of RSPB reserves on the Internet, Barfold Copse is still an RSPB reserve, but it's not on the list of RSPB reserves on there website dealing with visitor information, as there are a number of RSPB reserves mentioned on that map but not on the list of RSPB reserves on there website. And that map is only from a few months ago.
Ian

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back