• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds in and around Trondheim (1 Viewer)

Allen S. Moore

Isle of Man
I am planning a trip to Oslo this summer and am thinking of combining it with a few days in Trondheim. Which bird species would I need to look out for at Trondheim?

With the Norwegian Kroner doing relatively poorly against the Pound Sterling I am thinking that a trip to Norway would be good, especially to Trondheim, which I liked most of all during my 3 visits to the country in 2012-13. I referred back to this thread but there were no replies, so I thought that I'd do the “sad” thing and reply to my own thread!

With one exception I didn't see any rarities in and around Trondheim, but there were quite a few species which I was pleased to see when I was there in July 2012. The most unusual species was an Iceland gull, of which I saw a first-summer bird by the harbour opposite Sandgata on the 18th.

I also had 2 trips out of the city that day, one out to Monkholmen, around which I saw 20 eiders and a black guillemot, which I thought was breeding in boulders on the islet. That morning I caught the tram to the end of the line at Lian. I walked almost a lap around the lake, Lianvatnet, seeing 6 wigeon - two ducks, one of which had 4 well grown ducklings. I had a walk up a hillside from the lake and was pleased to see or hear 5 yellowhammers, which were numerous in the Isle of Man in my youth but are now down to a few pairs. Also on that walk I saw a common redstart and two whinchats, a male and a fledgling.

Swifts were quite common in Trondheim itself, and I saw 20 on two of the days that I was there. Fieldfares were also common, especially around Nidaros Domkirke, the famous cathedral. On the first evening, the 16th, I had a meal sitting outside a restaurant on Øvre Bakklandet. The sight of 31 rooks heading over the city was a bit of a surprise, as I had rarely seen them away from the British Isles. I also heard a chiffchaff singing a rather confusing song, with the notes all in the wrong order.

Hello there. Being a resident of the area the first thing to say is that Trondheim is a large city when speaking of area, and also have a wide variety of habitats, ranging from sea/shore thru rural, agricultural and forests to almost subalpine areas on high grounds, not forgetting the fairly large estuary of the river Gaula on the southwest border. In fact a Ramsar site. A megasite even during summer months. Can be accessed by public transport, but includes some walking. The inner city hold many parks plus the river Nidelva which produces ducks, gulls, herons, waders and also passerines. Depends on the season. There are few if any resources in English giving any updated information. Sad but true. The trend is more photoblogs in native language. There is the 'A Birdwatcher's Guide to Norway' by Bjorn Olav Tveit which should be available at NHBS.com http://www.nhbs.com/browse/search?title-type-facet[]=&term=Birdwatcher+Norway.
Species depends on season. We have a national bird sight reporting site which is very good for searching (species, locality, date etc.) but again; Norwegian only: http://artsobservasjoner.no/fugler/default.asp

Last edited:
Hi all

Old thread, but birds never get outdated! :)

Trondheimsfjord area is in fact one of the best birding regions of Norway and includes great sites for sea birds such as King Eider, White-billed Diver, Slavonian Grebes etc as well as mountains and great coniferous forests with boreal birds such as Tengmalm`s, Pygmy and Hawk Owl, Black- Three-toed- and Grey-headed woodpecker, 5 species of grouse etc. You can find more info about the region on these links; http://www.northernbirding.com/public.aspx and http://bird.dintur.no/birding-accommodation-norway/mid-norway/birdwatching-accommodation-trondheimsfjord.aspx

Yes, I had another holiday in Norway in late July last year, visiting Oslo, Bodø and Trondheim. I caught the train from Bodø to Trondheim, an interesting way to see the country.

One disappointment was to go back to Lianvatnet and not see or hear any yellowhammers. Are there still some in the Trondheim area? Tree sparrows seem to have increased by Kristiansten Festning. I saw 11 on one of my walks there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back