• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barn Owl research project (1 Viewer)

Hello,

I'm a PhD student from the University of Lausanne (Switzerland), developing a research project in the group of Prof. Alexandre Roulin. This group's work focuses on several aspects of the ecology and genetics of the barn owl and has had a long-term nest box survey project running for over 20 years in western Switzerland (for more info on the research group: https://www.unil.ch/dee/home/menuinst/research/roulin-group.html).

My main interest is barn owls that live on islands and how they differ morphologically and genetically from the ones on continents.
At this stage we are working specifically at the European level. We have started with the British Isles and we've recently released a scientific article on the coloration of Irish and British barn owls using museum specimens (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/bij.12814/abstract).

For the next step, I'll start working at the genetic level and for such I will need samples from European islands to analyse. These samples would ideally be blood or plucked feathers from live owls, or muscle tissue from fresh cadavers. Even lost feathers from molting can be useful.

Could anyone help me obtaining some samples? Thanks in advance for any help you might provide.

I would be happy to explain to you my project in further detail - please let me know if you'd like any other information!

Ana

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back