• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viking Navilux, Vanguard Spirit Ed or other?? (1 Viewer)

PaulinEd

Does anyone have experience of Viking Navilux 10 x 42or Vanguard Spirit Ed 10 x 42?
My budget is limited but could be pushed to circa £225 if people consider that would make a significant difference. (I'd rather get one pair that lasts a good while than be thinking of changing in a year or two for the sake of a hundred quid.)
But anyway, I'd love to hear any views on the above binos, taking into account I'm not expecting swarovski quality and am really just looking for a serviceable pair as I'm just starting out birding/wildlife watching. cheers
Also, if you know of a pair of budget binos that I should consider that would be great too.

:hi:
Hi PaulinEd,

Welcome to Bird Forum!

Allbinos has a review of the 10x42 Vanguard Spirit ED. It isn't very good. They ranked it 78th out of 81 of the 10x42's they tested. For some unknown reason Allbinos tested many more 10x42 binoculars than those with other formats and some of them were other Vanguards which got higher ratings.

See the allbinos link below to find out the reasons they gave.

http://www.allbinos.com/231-binoculars_review-Vanguard_Spirit_ED_10x42.html

I couldn't find anything about Viking binoculars to help you with them,

The price you are willing to pay can get you some reasonably good binoculars to get you started in Birding but most experienced birders will recommend 8x42 or 8x32 binoculars over 10x42 binoculars to start with. Not the least because there are a great variety of them made but also because they are easier to use and have wider fields of view than 10x42 binoculars have.

You did ask about one budget bino you should consider. One that comes to mind (It always comes to mind because of the many comments it has received here on the thread devoted to it.) is the Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32 binocular. There is a long thread about it but you will learn quite a bit about it by reading the 1st post in it.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793

Read the first post in the link.

Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob, cheers, I am slowly turning against the Vanguard, haven't heard great things on other posts. Might just go for the Viking.
I'll take a look at the Sightron.
The reason I was going for 10 x42 is that I'm mainly interested in raptors at the moment as well as general wildlife and just taking a look at the surrounding countryside when out on walks. I did get a pair of Nikon (10 x 42) which I think must have been a dud because there was a light distortion at the edge of the image field quite often which I found distracting so I sent them back, hence my new search. But the magnification seemed ok for what I want I think.
Thanks for the tips though.

PaulinEd,

Welcome to the forum.

I'll first reiterate what Bob said about the magnification. Most find an 8x most versatile for mixed birding. The the field of view and depth of field make it easier to locate and get a clean view at the bird, while providing a steadier and brighter view in low light. I also use a 10x when I know the day is mostly wide open spaces and light shouldn't be an issue. Do try to locate a dealer and try as many options as you can.

I have tried the Navilux, but only for a couple of seconds as it wasn't to my taste. The Spirit ED is a pretty reasonable buy for £170. I was surprised to see that Vanguard only have the 8x42 and 10x50 on their website now, but I'm sure the dealers still have stock. The main compromise at this price is field of view and a bit of brightness. If you still want a 10x then the 10x50 might be worth a look, but it's not one I've tried myself. One more low budget model that's worth a look is the Nikon Prostaff 7s 10x42.

I think £225 is a much better price point if you can stretch that far. The Vanguard Endeavour ED is much better than the Spirit ED in my opinion. Better made, sharper, and at least a bit, brighter. Last year I reported on the Opticron Explorer Oasis C and rather liked it. It's just been updated with ED glass which should address a minor weakness. To go a bit more traditional, the Opticron HR WP is very nice Japanese made porro prism binocular with an almost unique internal focus mechanism so fully waterproof. The field of view is fairly narrow, but the wide spacing of the objective lenses means the spacial definition (3D) is much better than roof prism (straight tube) designs. The Hawke Frontier ED Top Hinge is worth a look as well.

Good luck,

David

Hi - on the Vanguard front, as they have now launched the Endeavor EDIV, you can get the original ED at some pretty knock-down prices. Might be worth considering.

Just to throw another one in the mix, have a look at the Vortex Diamondback.

The Vanguard Spirit EDs are being discontinued with the addition of the Endeavor ED IV. The Spirit XFs are still available though and as you mentioned the Spirit EDs are available through those dealers who still have stock. I was never fond of them personally, I thought the XFs were just as good and the Endeavor ED was a lot better for not a lot more money.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back