• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Florida Raptor - Zone Tailed Hawk? (1 Viewer)

AGPank

I live in Fort Lauderdale and today I saw a hawk I haven't seen before. There were hundreds of small birds on the power lines and I stepped inside to try out my new binoculars and when I came back all the birds were gone. Above my house was what I first thought was a vulture, but it looked smaller and was flying lower than when I see vultures.

When I looked with my binoculars I could immediately tell it wasn't a vulture due to the feathered head. It had a very dark color similar to a vulture. I have the Waite's Pro app, and the zone tailed hawk had the most similar looking head, but it wasn't shown to have florida in the range.

Correct, no Zone-tailed Hawks in Florida. Perhaps check out Snail Kite? Normally resident in the Everglades, so Fort Lauderdale isn't too far for one to wander (though not its preferred habitat). Otherwise, perhaps a juvenile Black Vulture? Their heads are less obviously featherless than adults.

I got a real good look at the head and it was a smooth dark gray feathered head. It was holding in place over my house, maybe 100 feet. I had my 12x on the bird. I spent more time focusing on the head than the tail that would have helped. The common black hawk looked similar, my guess of the zone tailed hawk was the behavior of hunting birds and possibly following vultures to blend in and hunt.

There are hundreds of vultures in the area right now.

It looked a lot like this image.
https://www.google.com/search?q=zon...=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=gOLbAN2_Ee-WsM:

Another possibility is dark-morph Short-tailed Hawk.

Today it was cold and rainy. I took my son for a walk and lots of birds out...mockingbirds, blue jays, grackles, and ibis. Jus as we got home I saw a hawk up on the power pole.

4068716b5868a48c10caef4f8f943f00.jpg

I rushed my son inside who was soaking wet and first looked through my binoculars. Although the hawk looked different than the bird I saw earlier that could be several factors such as today was rainy and overcast, the last time was a bright blue sky. Today the hawk was perched versus flying overhead.

Fortunately the hawk sat still long enough for me to get my scope out for a closer look.

I do believe Jeff is correct with the dark morph short tailed hawk.

My digiscope setup isn't great right now. I have an iPhone 6+ with a phoneskope universal adapter. It just doesn't provide the secure fit on my new Meostar scope.

4e02d31dfca8777161d36986cb2d7a60.jpg

2e796d5d42446bae081fde77949d525f.jpg

06ac0d81d2d2232ef10e3b2e1eae6c2c.jpg

12f69fe1ff1eda34766712b4b668af7c.jpg

I've seen lots of red-tailed hawk, neither of the ones I saw have the tail like that. Red-tails I've seen are always lighter underneath.

Ibird has this picture.
4e5c59f2cee47882521ae4380ed42022.jpg

You'll have to go by size then. If it is a smallish hawk, then it may be what you want.(dark-morph Short-tailed Hawk.)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back