• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So I opened the box... (1 Viewer)

Hi Jerry

Are you going to have a look at the Noctivid ?

It looks like you are concerned about the importance of 3D, and you have
done a nice job in your personal evaluation.

I don't think 3D has much importance in the total picture, or importance
of binoculars. It is very hard to qualify and so it goes.

I don't consider it at all in my consideration.

Jerry

Hi Jerry

Are you going to have a look at the Noctivid ?

I'd like to, but I will have to wait until it is stocked in the sporting
goods stores I go to.

Right now I have been comparing several Leica models and will
post my thoughts later.

Jerry

I'll be interested to find out how you think they compare to your SF.

I'd like to, but I will have to wait until it is stocked in the sporting
goods stores I go to.

Right now I have been comparing several Leica models and will
post my thoughts later.

Jerry

So Saturday after work it cleared off for the afternoon... so I got in about three hours of birding...

Strapped on the NTV in front and the SV to the side...both 10X42s of course. I used the NTV about two hours exclusively....never touched the SV. The focus adjustment of the NTV is fantastic...maybe the best in class. It's smooth, precise, and free from slop whatsoever. Without gloves I had no issues with position of the adjustment....felt very natural. No issues with the size, shape, or weight of the NTV whatsoever. VERY natural pointing and finding birds.

So after a couple of hours I put the SV to my eye. Initial impression today is....the NVD IS a better image. It certainly comes across as brighter and more detailed. Remember I'm comparing to a SV 10X42 so this IS saying something IMO!

Also saw my first bald eagle of the year with the NTV! :t:

Attachments

• IMG_3475_4.jpg
    IMG_3475_4.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 228
Thanks for the great write up chill6x6. I like the way the results unfolded over time through a series of actual field observations. Its also great to see Leica succeeding in raising the bar through their own development and production process.

Thanks for the great write up chill6x6. I like the way the results unfolded over time through a series of actual field observations. Its also great to see Leica succeeding in raising the bar through their own development and production process.

Thanks! Appreciate it!

Hi Chuck, am I wrong in thinking you would probably prefer these to the SF ? Crap, I may need to try them after all :-O, I'm thinking the CA would kill it for me though.

So Saturday after work it cleared off for the afternoon... so I got in about three hours of birding...

Strapped on the NTV in front and the SV to the side...both 10X42s of course. I used the NTV about two hours exclusively....never touched the SV. The focus adjustment of the NTV is fantastic...maybe the best in class. It's smooth, precise, and free from slop whatsoever. Without gloves I had no issues with position of the adjustment....felt very natural. No issues with the size, shape, or weight of the NTV whatsoever. VERY natural pointing and finding birds.

So after a couple of hours I put the SV to my eye. Initial impression today is....the NVD IS a better image. It certainly comes across as brighter and more detailed. Remember I'm comparing to a SV 10X42 so this IS saying something IMO!

Also saw my first bald eagle of the year with the NTV! :t:

Hi Chuck, am I wrong in thinking you would probably prefer these to the SF ? Crap, I may need to try them after all :-O, I'm thinking the CA would kill it for me though.

Got in some pretty good birding this weekend. Used the NTVs all morning...switched to some less expensive optics in the afternoon.....the difference was ridiculous!!

SF....I don't know. One thing one can't erase about the SF is that FOV. Anyone including myself that says that doesn't matter doesn't go birding or bird where I do. IT MATTERS! The SF has it in spades.

Slowly I'm beginning to believe the NTV has everything beaten in it's class BUT the SF when you add it all up. The Leica customer service issue IS the Noctivids biggest hurtle probably.

Thanks Chuck, is the NTV ahead of the SF in contrast IYO, or maybe I should say ahead in a natural portrayal of it ? I don't particularly find what I see with my naked eye to be just bristling with dramatic contrast except when lighting is conducive to it.

Thanks
Robert

Got in some pretty good birding this weekend. Used the NTVs all morning...switched to some less expensive optics in the afternoon.....the difference was ridiculous!!

SF....I don't know. One thing one can't erase about the SF is that FOV. Anyone including myself that says that doesn't matter doesn't go birding or bird where I do. IT MATTERS! The SF has it in spades.

Slowly I'm beginning to believe the NTV has everything beaten in it's class BUT the SF when you add it all up. The Leica customer service issue IS the Noctivids biggest hurtle probably.

Last edited:
More praise

Hello Chilli 6x6,

Just wanted to add my thanks and praise for this really interesting thread. I really look forward to any further observations and insight you might be willing to share.

You've got so much top of the line gear (and significantly, simultaneously) that I'm glued to what you're bringing up.

In my own hunt for binoculars the Leicas raison d'etre appears to be it's relative size (at marginal expense of weight perhaps) to it's contemporaries in class- which matters a great deal to me. It's not an judgement being cast on other bins before anyone jumps down my throat. The Nikon MHG appears to pull off the same trick. Swaro and Zeiss different but equally important tricks if you will.

Anyway, just chucking my two cents in the ring and saying thank you. I will never get to assemble such equipment in one place, at one time and have the calm time to evaluate them at my own tempo. You're unwinding it to us in exactly the way I would choose it to be - after time in the field. Spot on !

Tm

Thanks Chuck, is the NTV ahead of the SF in contrast IYO, or maybe I should say ahead in a natural portrayal of it ? I don't particularly find what I see with my naked eye to be just bristling with dramatic contrast except when lighting is conducive to it.

Thanks
Robert

My SF is 8X and NTV 10X so I don't do a lot of comparing except physical attributes. As you can see most of my comparing has been with the SV 10X42 as that's the binocular I WOULD be using for a 10X42.

Hello Chilli 6x6,

Just wanted to add my thanks and praise for this really interesting thread. I really look forward to any further observations and insight you might be willing to share.

You've got so much top of the line gear (and significantly, simultaneously) that I'm glued to what you're bringing up.

In my own hunt for binoculars the Leicas raison d'etre appears to be it's relative size (at marginal expense of weight perhaps) to it's contemporaries in class- which matters a great deal to me. It's not an judgement being cast on other bins before anyone jumps down my throat. The Nikon MHG appears to pull off the same trick. Swaro and Zeiss different but equally important tricks if you will.

Anyway, just chucking my two cents in the ring and saying thank you. I will never get to assemble such equipment in one place, at one time and have the calm time to evaluate them at my own tempo. You're unwinding it to us in exactly the way I would choose it to be - after time in the field. Spot on !

Tm

Thanks for the comments!

I think the Noctivid's are far from a one-trick pony. Compact for an open-bridge 10X42...yes. I little chunky...yes as most Leica's(the one's I have save the Trinovid HD) are. I happen to also think the Noctivids are an evolution in binocular design:

1. The best eye-cups in existence. You WILL find the correct position and it will stay there.... PRECISELY!

2. Focus feel. I don't know how LONG it will stay this way...among the best if not THE best.

3. Objective covers- you'll be hard-pressed to lose THESE.

4. Of course the diopter adjustment IS the best.

5. Binocular case- compact, well made...built-in handle. I never noticed until Saturday. Great design.

6. Great optics and no excuses.

The Noctivid sure gives the Leica aficionado a place to go with a binocular seemingly second to none. Most would say it's about time.

I'm sure the NV aficionados on here that we are, don't have to over sell this product, hopefully more usage, and new users will give it more credence, to this new addition to the Zenith of optical products..

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back