• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White rhino poached in French zoo... (1 Viewer)

These people are savages, if they are caught and are not native French, they should be immediately deported after prosecution. Another reason to worry is that they've been able to obtain and transport a weapon, powerful enough to kiill a Rihno.

It's what you didn't say that is telling (possibly) in this instance ...

Your post should have read something like -

"These people are savages, if they are caught and are French they should be thrown in jail for 20 years/have their goollies cut off/put in the stocks or a zoo for life/all of the above and if they are not native French, they should be immediately deported after prosecution. Another reason to worry is that they've been able to obtain and transport a weapon, powerful enough to kill a Rhino."

Can't blame people for reading your post as they did, even if you didn't intend it that way.

(The majority of French people/people in France are native born French etc etc)

Last edited:
It's what you didn't say that is telling (possibly) in this instance ...

Your post should have read something like -

"These people are savages, if they are caught and are French they should be thrown in jail for 20 years/have their goollies cut off/put in the stocks or a zoo for life/all of the above and if they are not native French, they should be immediately deported after prosecution. Another reason to worry is that they've been able to obtain and transport a weapon, powerful enough to kill a Rhino."

Can't blame people for reading your post as they did, even if you didn't intend it that way.

(The majority of French people/people in France are native born French etc etc)

If I didn't state categorically that I had a penis, would that make you assume I'm a woman?

What you wrote above as representative of what I should have written, would be assumed by most level headed people.

As I said, a few people go out of their way to find unintended offence in everything.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean Asians did it.
Vietnam (source of some of the chief demand for rhino horn) used to be a French colony; they still have ties to France, so there are connections worth pursuing, especially as people from the region must be involved, at the very least on the buyers' level. Though I suspect the dirty work is done by local criminal elements, much like in Africa and other places.

Just this rather nasty right-wing extremist idea doing the rounds that crime can always be blamed on foreigners, with the implicit hint that all foreigners are probably criminals, and therefore scapegoatable and expendable. Much stoked by the likes of the Daily Mail, Daily Express, & Sun, and currently holding sway in the UK government. And of course, totally false.
Well, at least this has provided you with an excuse to go off on yet another rant about a couple of British newspapers no-one on this forum cares about, and about specific British issues in a thread about France. Rather ironic, I'd say.

Anyway, I disagree with Andy's verdict - I think that anyone involved in the killing of endangered animals (or the procuring, or consumption, of their parts) should be hanged, regardless of nationality or diplomatic protests.

Last edited:
Anyway, I disagree with Andy's verdict - I think that anyone involved in the killing of endangered animals (or the procuring, or consumption, of their parts) should be hanged, regardless of nationality or diplomatic protests.

That was my seemingly, ill made point.

A

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back