• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (1 Viewer)

how did you id that wing correctly? dark p10 underside? but is that reliable in 2 winter birds?
those crete birds are very interesting and highly discussable...

Well Lou - undewing pattern could trick you into thinking Caspian, although quite understandible, but inner primary pattern not good for argentatus - more solid dark outer web and pale inner and of course overall pale underwing. Rounded primary tips suggest 2cy (no mirror)

http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=96068

Structure and shape and a bit of the body and head = not good for at least Caspian. However YLG.

The first new one looks like a Med. Gull:

http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=13224

and the tiny mirror maybe as tiny as a field mark in this case but I have a feeling of Caspian in moult.

JanJ

both correct jan.
gr. covert pattern in the caspian is also perfect, though an abraded micha could look similar. taken at end of may, so it's a 3cy.

hind and front parts of ?

Attachments

• Kopie von image001.jpg
    Kopie von image001.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 219
  • Kopie (2) von DSC01586.JPG
    Kopie (2) von DSC01586.JPG
    262.5 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Just found this thread. Looking at the very first picture at the start of the thread, the back bird out of the three gulls is surely an adult Common Gull?

Again michahellis although not the so called typical tertial pattern - but within the variation for the species. Since not so long ago I saw this I remember it well:

http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=113446&d=1194885379

The other one however I´m more uncertain about. Judging by the shape of the nostril it looks more like a YLG or HG - Caspian has a more slit-like - equally broad in both ends - broader in front (triangular) in the other two. No red on upper mandible signals Herring.

JanJ

it was a bit silly to put that tertials in here but i had it in mind before posting the whole bird as comparison with the mallorcan GBBG.

the bill is from a bird we have also discussed on the ID forum. i have many pics of this gull, which i feel is quite problematic. here's the whole head. i think it is a female despite of that bill. tomorrow i can post a better resolution of the head. it also has some strange cloudy grey marks as you can see all over the head.

Attachments

• Kopie von DSC01586 Kopie.jpg
    Kopie von DSC01586 Kopie.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
yea, that's the bird. maybe even a larus cachinellis or michinnans ;)
possibly i get time tomorrow to get out the originals. in most of the pics it has such an upright stance, legs are rel. dull yellow and iris is well pigmentated (all pro cachinnans). on the other hand legs are thick and short for a cachi and bill is more like a fem. michahellis. head shape could fit female of both, eye doesn't look small.

cachellis ?

pics of the upright standing gull (i favoured cachinnans, but see gonys, nostrils and rel short feet)

Attachments

• a1568.JPG
    a1568.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 226
  • a1572.JPG
    a1572.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 214
  • a1584.JPG
    a1584.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 249
  • a1578.JPG
    a1578.JPG
    272.8 KB · Views: 217
  • a1590.JPG
    a1590.JPG
    275.6 KB · Views: 223
A quiz is supposed to be fun...........these sods are hard enough when you can see the whole pic never mind just bits!

Admittedly it is quite educational.

Cheers,
Andrew

Just found this thread. Looking at the very first picture at the start of the thread, the back bird out of the three gulls is surely an adult Common Gull?

steve,

right, we haven't talked about it but i guess it's another adult yellow-legged gull. anyway not a common gull. why'd you thought so?

A quiz is supposed to be fun...........these sods are hard enough when you can see the whole pic never mind just bits!

Admittedly it is quite educational.

Cheers,
Andrew

i can understand your complain, andrew. but for laro-infected people it is fun to get conclusions from small details.
admittedly with the last bird i went into an id-discussion because i feel we ended up too early when talking about it in the id.forum.

cheers B :)

Lou, I wasn't being entirely serious seeing as I look at the larid myself, like the one attached.

Crop of a shockingly badly scanned print adds to the fun.

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• Barra gull 3.JPG
    Barra gull 3.JPG
    10.3 KB · Views: 246
cheers andrew, now that's really fun. i'd id it as a 4cy larus pedo-ramificatus with that dangeling branch-like leg. if it really is yellow then an august/september YLG could be the candidate although i see a bit too little black on p7-9. 3:)

Spot on Lou! It was photographed in Sep.

Fancy a stab at which part of YLG range it comes from?

Cheers,
Andrew

Attachments

• Barra gull 2.JPG
    Barra gull 2.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 241
  • Barra gull 4.JPG
    Barra gull 4.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 215
It's a bird I found on Barra a couple of years ago - 1st YLG for the Outer Hebs and still a description bird in Scotland.

It could well be an atlantis type but proving it is far harder! Was just interested to see what you said - it does fit reasonably well with birds I've seen in the Canaries.

cheers,
Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back