• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Ireland Local Patch (2 Viewers)

spent 3 days on rathlin from sunday past volunteering at seabird centre, puffins have started to arrive,i also saw 2 hen harriers on island, kestrel,buzzards,and a male juvenile golden eagle.that one was special. also some wheatear, twite, meadow pipit,greylags,whooper swans.and the usual oystercatchers,eiders,tuftys,shelduck,

sidick did you get a good view of the golden eagle im quite jealous would love to see one had a good bird today at rspb reserve belfast today male ruff summer plumage

got a good look mate, i originally thought white tailed eagle, others thought golden i put photo on here and someone confirmed it as a whitetailed either way i dont mind i got to see an eagle,and thats a good spot you got at reserve, i was in lurgan park today and saw a crested grebe on the nest and then it got off and lo and behold there was an egg. also saw pair bulfinches today and 15 greylags just walking around lurgan park. saw 5 buzzards also at dromore today.

had 3 swift on monday at oxford island my earliest record by ten days grasshopper warbler 2 (heard only) 1 at peatlands and 1 at oxford island were the highlights of the day willy warbs chiffs blackcaps in every other tree cheers john

grasshopper warblers

had 3 swift on monday at oxford island my earliest record by ten days grasshopper warbler 2 (heard only) 1 at peatlands and 1 at oxford island were the highlights of the day willy warbs chiffs blackcaps in every other tree cheers john

That's great about the grasshopper warblers. I went to look for some in my area on Saturday but there was no sign. Will have to go again.

I saw my first swifts on April 22nd. On the 23rd the first birds were over the house. Today, May 2nd and 5 days earlier than 2009, the first pair were trying to get in to their nest box. They had difficulty so I removed all the starling baffles from my nest boxes.

Currently 12 above the house

Mark
www.saveourswifts.co.uk
for N Ireland. S Ireland for advice only unless close to the border

Whimbrel bank holiday

I have never seen so many whimbrels and got such good close views as I did today. They were at Kilclief Bay (2), Killard point(6), Ardglass(2) and St John's Point(6). The two at Kilclief were feeding with a curlew so the comparision was ideal, but my digiscoping kit was in the boot If I had got out I would have spooked them so I just had to enjoy the views. Attached are two shots taken earlier at St John's Point.

Attachments

• Whimbrel 1 (R).jpg
    Whimbrel 1 (R).jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Whimbrel 3 (R).jpg
    Whimbrel 3 (R).jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 51
You'll have to come to the North West Derek. I was out for a walk at Inch Lake on Sunday and the Swifts were screaming overhead.

Richard

would like to say im really enjoying the blog. would love even more to catch up with this golden eagle thats getting some air miles over the country fingers crossed it flys over sometime soon.

would like to say im really enjoying the blog. would love even more to catch up with this golden eagle thats getting some air miles over the country fingers crossed it flys over sometime soon.

Same here - a terrific site for all the latest stuff and some great photos too:clap:

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back