• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Bittern at Ham Wall (1 Viewer)

efrs

EFRS.co.uk
Hi

Thought we'd start our contributions with a bang! These where taken earlier this year at Ham Wall. Very lucky to be there at the right time. Only posting now since the RSPB have stated they where there and the breeding season is over. Theres a bit of a write up and more pics on our Blog at EFRS.co.uk

little bittern hamwall 2014-6.jpg

little bittern hamwall 2014-7.jpg

EFRS.co.uk

Nice that they are still going. Be nicer when there are enough pairs that news comes out during the season, though I certainly understand the reticence.

John

Tell me about it! We've had sleepless nights sitting on these pics, as bad as they are. Seems we could have posted quit a while ago but ho hum. As far as Im aware, and Im probably wrong, but these are the only pics of them this year.

Andrew

I'm suprised they've kept quite about this. Seem to remember a couple of years ago they were more than happy to annouce they had them and even set up a watch point.

I'm suprised they've kept quite about this. Seem to remember a couple of years ago they were more than happy to annouce they had them and even set up a watch point.

I posted a few months ago on the RSPB Forums asking if the Little Bitterns where nesting at Ham Wall this year and they sounded very secretive compared to 2012 and 2013 when they where quite open about it in those two years. They simply posted in the Forms saying they couldn't give any information at present. And there's still no information in the Ham Wall Blog on those Forums upto the present time, compared to the last two years when they where very open about it.
Ian.

Thats what we thought. Last year there was a sign saying 'Stand here for the Little Bittern' but this year absolutely nothing. If you spoke to the Wardens and Volunteers they were quit happy to admit they were there. One Volunteer said he had put it up on the white board for all to see after someone said they had spotted it. We did cause a bit of a cuffuffle on the SOS but we're all friends again now. There was / is going to be a big announcement by the RSPB but we may have stolen the show :smoke:

A

I had the following message from reserve staff on August 4th. I wonder what the result of the investigation was......

"Thank you for your enquiry. Male little bittern have been heard ‘barking’ in several locations but no nesting activity seen. Although we have had a wonderful summer and many species have taken advantage and raised several broods, the consensus is that no little bittern have bred this year.

This bird is very secretive, as you probably know, so once breeding season is completely over there will be a wider investigation to get a broader picture."

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back