• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 12x36 IS III objective lens caps (1 Viewer)

crs

I bought a Canon 12x36 IS III binocular. I produced objective lens caps of NBR (acrylonitrile butadiene rubber) for it. The newly produced lens caps have a normal NBR smell meaning that chemicals are coming out of the rubber.
In the booklet coming with the binocular it is stated:
„Avoid storing binoculars in a laboratory or a location where chemicals are present since this may cause rust or corrosion. Also avoid storage in a chest or drawers.”
Is there any danger that fixing the new NBR lens caps on the binocular any damage of the lenses, rubber coating or other parts of the binocular may be produced?

Cristian

This would be better put in the "Canon" category of the Binoculars section.

If it's any help I recently lost one of the objective lens caps of my Swarowski EL 42s. I popped into In Focus at Slimbridge and they tried three different sizes of 42mm Opticron lens caps, they found at set that fit perfectly and cost much less than the originals. Might be worth dropping them an E Mail?

Thank you johnf3f for the suggestion.
Thank you HokkaidoStu for moving this thread.

I think the question would be:
Does anybody know if an objective lens cap has caused any damages to the binocular (lens, rubber coating, metal parts)?

Cristian

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back