• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski Aiming Aid (1 Viewer)

ibirdeverywhere

Swarovski 8x32EL Swarovision Swarovski CL8x30 Comp
Has any one used the Aiming Aid that Swarovski shows in their new catalog? I found a picture of it installed on the end of a scope on page 42 in the Nature catalog. It looks like a good alternative to making one yourself which a lot a users do.

Below is how it is described in the catalog:

TX/STX spotting scopes come with a host of smart accessories for
you to choose from, bringing you more enjoyment from observing
nature. For instance, the aiming aid will help you spot flying birds
more quickly and catch them on camera.

I would like to try it on my 85mm scope

Thanks! Ed

Hi Ed,

The Aiming Aid is a very useful device on angled telescopes. It is a commercial (sort of, since they don't really market it as they should, and don't offer it separately as far as I know - it could be used on just about any angled scope) version of the so-called cable tie sight explained in the Birdforum thread linked below. I suggest you read some of that thread and study KorHaan's excellent drawings on how to set one up. Most of that applies to the Swarovski sight and will help you get the most of it.

Two suggestions: firstly, take your time before you cut the tip of the sight to the "right" length, as the best length will somewhat depend on your way of viewing, and especially if you view or sight with glasses on, will take some trial and error to find. This is especially important as the cutting lines suggested by Swarovski make for a tip length that is in my view quite a bit too short. The tip is also thicker than optimum, but it is easy enough to make a tip of your own that you attach to the main part of the aiming aid. I use one that attaches to the pin on the aiming aid with a short length of snug silicone tubing, and has a fluorescent orange pin about the thickness of a match as the aim.

Secondly, the aiming aid works as the front part of a sighting line. The rear part is "virtual", as it is the edge of the eyepiece cup, which in the ATX is a large diameter circle. You can mark the top center on the eyepiece rim to increase accuracy, or just learn to use the bright exit pupil in the eyepiece to align your eye directly behind the eyepiece for sighting. If you do this, and have the aiming aid properly set up, it will make sighting of even fast moving objects very fast and precise.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=99084&highlight=aiming+device

Kimmo

I think it can be strapped over the cover. Just make sure the objective cover still works by placing the aiming aid far enough back. I don't use the cover, so have the aid strapped between the body armor and the pull-out sunshade.

Kimmo

It works ok. You've only have to readjust it a little when you arrive at the field

I think it can be strapped over the cover. Just make sure the objective cover still works by placing the aiming aid far enough back. I don't use the cover, so have the aid strapped between the body armor and the pull-out sunshade.

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back