• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Noctivid Review - Birdwatching Magazine (1 Viewer)

mak

United Kingdom
Latest review from David Chandler in Decembers edition of Birdwatching

Attachments

• Noctivid Review Birdwatching Dec 16.pdf
    759.1 KB · Views: 1,049
A nice review and since he ends up by saying he wouldn't argue with anyone who thinks Noctivid is Leica's best ever, thats quite an accolade.

Thanks for posting MAK.

Lee

I don't think he got over excited.

You're right, but that's a good thing in my book. Many of the "reviews" you see in the mainstream magazines are practically marketing pieces and those are the ones with a lot of hyperbole and "excitement". There are no criticisms in these types of reviews (red flag).

This review seems a short , honest user impression and I'm thankful he didn't compare to SF and SV and declare a "winner". He just reviewd the bin on its own and only mentioned it's maybe the best from Leica. He gave it an overall very good review with a few nitpicks. At least he admitted it's a heavy bin. When you read a review of a heavy bin which the user describes as lightweight it's a red flag right there.

I agree GG ..... the review seems a fair cop (did tick all the marketing boxes though) ....

Considering their size (fairly compact for a 42mm) , and the fact that they aren't overly packed with glass (multiple field flattners, or big A-K prisms, etc), or large FOV, the question remains ............ why are these bins so [goshdarned] heavy ????!

They are at least 100 grams (~4oz) over par.

While some think that a digital revolution is the solution to all our woes (I'll leave my eyeballs free from point blank electromagnetic bombardment and high frequency - but still not real - simulated image jiggery-p** thanks very much! :) , the lightweight materials, precision engineered evolution is so long overdue it's just not funny :brains:

Bring on the CFRP .......

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
The 42mm 8.5 Swarovision at 29.5 ounces (another double hinged binocular like the Noctivid) weighs barely an ounce less than the 8x42 Noctivid at 30.3 ounces and no one is making a big deal about what it weighs.

Bob

Last edited:
The 42mm 8.5 Swarovision at 29.5 ounces (another double hinged binocular like the Noctivid) weighs barely an ounce less than the 8x42 Noctivid at 30.3 ounces and no one is making a big deal about what it weighs.

Bob

I think it's because SF brought the weight down a bit , an improvement over SV. The fact the Leica is shorter, some of us hoped it would be relatively light as well. And, some of us were hoping that ergonomics and weight would be considered much more in the design process for the Noctivid. We were hoping to see improvements here.

First time I tried SF was when it just came out at the nature store. I only tried it for a few minutes, but I immediately noticed it felt lighter than SV and had good feel.

I got a second chance this weekend when a birder (who I never met before) allowed me to try his 10x42 SF. I got the same impression again - ergonomics of the SF are great. IMO Zeiss did a wonderful job here. It's a big, long binocular , but I have to say it is very comfortable to use and the focus was nice and smooth too albeit a bit fast for me. I normally like compact binos, but I could see myself getting by fine with the SF. It's just so darn expensive.

I had a good try with an 8x42 Noctivid today, it was overcast and cloudy.

The mechanical and build quality come across as pure Alpha, I can find nothing to complain about, the only ergonomic negative for me is the strap lugs, too big, cheap looking and for me poorly positioned.

The biggest disappointment was the view, where was the image plasticity, where was the depth of field, where was the contrast I`v read so much about, I`m so disappointed, I`m a big time Leica fan but nothing I saw in the NV blew me away.

The fov felt narrower than quoted, still a bit more CA than I expected, and not as bright as I would have liked.

I`m thrilled for all the new owners who have found it so satisfying but for whatever reason I just was`nt seeing the wow.

I would of liked to have known if the difference from the 8X42 UV HD Plus is worth an upgrade.

Headed to Novokuznetsk (SouthWest Siberia) Thursday through the 17th, my 8X42's will be along. Earlier this month below.

Attachments

• NovoWeater.jpg
    NovoWeater.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
I would of liked to have known if the difference from the 8X42 UV HD Plus is worth an upgrade.

Headed to Novokuznetsk (SouthWest Siberia) Thursday through the 17th, my 8X42's will be along. Earlier this month below.

Siberia ? Wow - but be careful not to run into one of these huge white tigers that still roam the plains there ... ;)
[maybe I have been reading the wrong books about Siberia]

Re update HD+ to Noctivid: I think you will have to try that out yourself. I found the improvement in sharpness clearly visible with my eyes, but everybody's eyes are different, so nobody can really make that choice except you.
Plus: how much is the improvement worth to you ? If you are really happy with your HD+ today (which is a great binocular!), chances are that you might not find the gap to the Noctivid big enough to justify the hefty price of the Noctivid.

But again, you may see this differently, and I may be wrong ...

I`m thrilled for all the new owners who have found it so satisfying but for whatever reason I just was`nt seeing the wow.

Hi John

Sounds like the same sort of weather as I had at Bird Fair and weather like that doesn't do any bins any favours.

Lee

The mechanical and build quality come across as pure Alpha, I can find nothing to complain about, the only ergonomic negative for me is the strap lugs, too big, cheap looking and for me poorly positioned.

The biggest disappointment was the view, where was the image plasticity, where was the depth of field, where was the contrast I`v read so much about, I`m so disappointed, I`m a big time Leica fan but nothing I saw in the NV blew me away.

The fov felt narrower than quoted, still a bit more CA than I expected, and not as bright as I would have liked.

How much time did you have with it? I think people are perhaps expecting too much here.

If you are already used to using top bins then its hard to imagine being blown away by the Nvid. Hard to imaging anything coming out that will be considerably or noticeably better than an SF/SV/UVid+/EDG, etc.

Also, when I first tried my UV+ for the very first time I didn't quite see the Leica view I was used to. That was looking through it for a bit before work the day after I got it. Once I got some hours in the field with it, I could then see the classic Leica view. Over a few more days I was able to discover all of the special qualities of a top 7x42.
I remember having a wow moment like a week or two after using the bin and I still remember that image; titmouse in a small cedar tree with some snow on it (sunny day). It was just a very beautiful and flawless image which was burned into my mind. Now I have become used to those types of quality images.

I think it's hard to judge the entire binocular unless we have some good time with it in the field....just my 2 cents.

I think you should strongly consider this deal https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com...ing&m=simple&gclid=CPDuuOOJzNACFZQ2gQodlbUK2w , just check with them to make sure they have a current SN pair. When these deals are over I'm sure you can get your money back and maybe then some, If you lose any it won't be much. I've got an idea you'll keep them for a long time. If you want the updated eyecups just call Zeiss, you'll have them in a few days.

Sorry for going off topic.

I think it's because SF brought the weight down a bit , an improvement over SV. The fact the Leica is shorter, some of us hoped it would be relatively light as well. And, some of us were hoping that ergonomics and weight would be considered much more in the design process for the Noctivid. We were hoping to see improvements here.

First time I tried SF was when it just came out at the nature store. I only tried it for a few minutes, but I immediately noticed it felt lighter than SV and had good feel.

I got a second chance this weekend when a birder (who I never met before) allowed me to try his 10x42 SF. I got the same impression again - ergonomics of the SF are great. IMO Zeiss did a wonderful job here. It's a big, long binocular , but I have to say it is very comfortable to use and the focus was nice and smooth too albeit a bit fast for me. I normally like compact binos, but I could see myself getting by fine with the SF. It's just so darn expensive.

Lee and GG,

I was`nt rushed and spent a good while with it, I`m not sure I had unrealistic expectations, its just considering the marketing and the enthusiasm I`v read from others that have tried it I was expecting to see something new, something not on offer from Zeiss or Swaro, but it felt like more of the same (from Leica), and sadly for me a definite 3rd place to SF/SV.

Hopefully it won`t be the last NV I try, so maybe another example. another day I`ll feel differently.

Last edited:
Lee and GG,

I was`nt rushed and spent a good while with it, I`m not sure I had unrealistic expectations, its just considering the marketing and the enthusiasm I`v read from others that have tried it I was expecting to see something new, something not on offer from Zeiss or Swaro, but it felt like more of the same (from Leica), and sadly for me a definite 3rd place to SF/SV.

Hopefully it won`t be the last NV I try, so maybe another example. another day I`ll feel differently.

Maybe it will be tweaked over time. When SF came out some people here were jumping up and down about a 'green' cast and crummy build quality.
But, after awhile I see only positive reviews of the latest batch with black armor. So, I think Leica will keep improving it over time.

How do you think the Nvid compares to UV+ ?

Hi John

Sounds like the same sort of weather as I had at Bird Fair and weather like that doesn't do any bins any favours.

Lee

Well, those sorts of conditions tend to separate the wheat from the chaff, IMO. Personally, it's those exact conditions in which I reach for my best bins, as they offer the highest brightness, resolution and contrast. Most any bin looks good in full sun but, in poorer conditions, the truly great will shine.

Even today, we have those same weather conditions and I can take a very good bin [Conquest HD] and compare to my best [HT] and really see the difference in brightness, transparency and image ''pop.''

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back