• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rattle in 10x42 EL SV (1 Viewer)

AGPank

I have a friend who has the 10x42 EL sV and he said it has a slight rattle when shaking thin binos. Anyone heard of this? He said he called Swarovski and they said not to worry about it. My 8x32 don't make any sound.

Very odd, I would suggest checking the sound isn't coming from the strap or another source, tighten the threaded eyecups & giving the optics a thorough test.

I have a friend who has the 10x42 EL sV and he said it has a slight rattle when shaking thin binos. Anyone heard of this? He said he called Swarovski and they said not to worry about it. My 8x32 don't make any sound.
This was discussed back in 2005. Apparently there's some needed slack in a focus lens that can, under certain circumstances, produce a muted sound. Check with Swaro to verify.

I would not worry too much. This is not unique, and the EL SVs are not even the only ones affected.
In another forum, we recently discussed the same matter with regard to the Zeiss SF and found out, that many, my 8x42 included, produced a "rattling" noise when shaken (I recently also acquired a 10x42 SF, and it makes the sound, although slightly less prominently).

Of course, sending it in for checking at Swaro only costs you shipment, so if you are uncertain, you can always have it checked. But at least you should know that yours is not the only one having a "noisy life of its own" ;)

The EL SV focusing mechanism has metal coil springs over metal guide rods in each tube that ensure that the focusing lenses remain at the same diopter setting when focus direction changes. Springs like this tend not to be perfectly quiet when shaken, and I'd suspect the sound comes from this. In any case, you don't need to be concerned over slight noises unless it is evident that there is something loose moving around inside, which is highly unlikely.

Kimmo

As Alexis said, many binos rattle.
I was curious, so I ran a quick rattle-check on the ones to which I have access.
Here's the result:

Leica Compact (BCA, BCR) - rattle
Leica (BA, BN, BR, HD, HD+) - no rattle
Leitz/Leica original Trinovids - rattle
Meopta (Meopro, Meostar) - rattle
Nikon (Monarch, HGL, EDG, EDG II) - no rattle
Swarovski (SLC, EL WB, EL SV) - no rattle
Zeiss Compact (Conquest, Victory) - no rattle
Zeiss Dialyt - no rattle
Zeiss TFL - rattle (from a shield that moves to cover the hinge)

Of 24 binos, 9 rattled (37.5%); all were rather quiet and subtle.

He probably got his hands on this:

These things tend to rattle but create wonderful pictures.

;)

Attachments

• 71EcbxQAtmL._SL1500_.jpg
    71EcbxQAtmL._SL1500_.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 145
Well I finally had a chance to take a look at my friends binoculars. I'm having him send them in for service. Something is wrong. There is internal dust in one barrel, which makes me think a seal was damaged.

The rattle is an internal component I can see shift when looking into the objective. You can see the flat edge in the image. The rattle is loud enough I wouldn't hunt with them in that condition due to noise.

cd38ecf53d8a1df9bf65a31755dd65fe.jpg

https://vimeo.com/200870470

Well I got an email today. The binos are headed back and will arrive on 3/3. That's 5-6 weeks, just as quoted. They did have to go to Austria.

I haven't been contacted about charges, my assumption is they have been able to repair under warranty.

I will report back upon receipt.

Rattle Update

I recently received my favorite Swarovski EL 8.5x42 back from service at SONA, and now it has a slight rattle which it didn’t have before – and I don’t mind at all, because they did a huge amount of work on my 14-year-old bino, and now it’s pretty near perfect. I’ve reached an age where I have a few rattles myself.

John

Well the repair ticket isn't that detailed. It says "replaced eye cup set and various parts. Repaired, aligned, and cleaned."

There is a very minor rattle that I perceive as acceptable.

They look as good as new.

I did get to spend a little time behind them and compare them against my 10x42 Trinovid. They performed very similar to each other. Great overall field of view with both models. The EL handles CA much better.

All work was at no cost, very pleased.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back