• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BTX Binoviewer for ATX scopes (1 Viewer)

BTX FACT SHEET
March 2017 © SWAROVSKI OPTIK NA

#CLOSER2NATURE IMMERSE YOURSELF. DISCOVER. ENJOY. • Uses the visual power of both eyes to make the image appear more natural and vivid. • The BTX features an adjustable forehead rest, an angled ocular system and the fact that both eyes can be used for viewing with maximum comfort over long periods • The BTX Modular uses the 95 mm, 85 mm and 65 mm Objectives of the current SWAROVSKI OPTIK ATX/STX Modular system. • The 95 mm objective will be a fixed 35X. The 85 objective a fixed 30X. The 65 objective a fixed 30X. • Features SWAROVISION Technology – Field Flattener and High Definition Lenses: Gives perfect edge to edge clarity, eliminates several kinds of distortion, brings out the highest color contrasts and offers increased eye relief. • The interpupillary distance is adjustable, just like on a binocular. In the case of the BTX the eyepieces operate simultaneously so they remain centered – No need to move away from the forehead rest while adjusting. • The black housing which incorporates the forehead rest, can be removed for cleaning

New Accessories

ME 1.7x magnification extender • This magnifier fits between the ocular and objective modules of the BTX/ATX/STX series. It increases the 30X magnification of the 65 mm and 85 mm objective modules to 50X and the 35X magnification of the 95 mm objective modules to 60X. • If the ME 1.7X is used with the ATX/STX ocular and the 65 mm or 85 mm objectives, the maximum magnification is 100X. • If the ME 1.7X is used with the ATX/STX ocular and the 95 mm objective the maximum magnification is 120X.

BR balance rail • Designed to be compatible with the Arca-Swiss mounting system • Two support points for complete balance and stability

Cut and paste wouldn't include pictures so it's a bit choppy.

BTX FACT SHEET
March 2017 © SWAROVSKI OPTIK NA

Tripod base for Arca-Swiss system
Current Tripod base until May 2017 BR SSR II PTH   with tripod plate Arca-Swiss system  with tripod plate Arca-Swiss system DH 101  with DH 101 tripod plate

  with DH 101 tripod plate  BR  with collet  SSR II 

BTX Ø 65 Ø 85 Ø 95 Magnification 30x 30x 35x Magnification plus ME 1.7x magnification extender 50x 50x 60x Effective objective lens diameter (mm) 65 85 95 Exit pupil diameter (mm) 2.2 2.9 2.7 Exit pupil distance (mm) 21 21 21 Field of view (ft/1000 yd) 112 112 96 Field of view (degrees) 2.1 2.1 1.8 Field of view for eyeglass wearers (degrees) 2.1 2.1 1.8 Field of view, apparent (degrees) 60 60 60 Shortest focusing distance (ft) 7.2 12.5 16.4 Diopter adjustment left/right ± 4 ± 4 ± 4 Diopter correction at ∞ (dpt) > 5 > 5 > 5 Interpupillary distance (in) 2.2 - 2.9 2.2 - 2.9 2.2 - 2.9 Length of BTX module* / BTX overall approx. (in) 6.9 / 14.6 6.9 / 15.9 6.9 / 18.0 Weight of BTX module / BTX overall (oz) 50.0 / 77.3 50.0 / 88.8 50.0 / 97.3 Objective filter thread M67x0.75 M87x0.75 M97x0.75 Tripod attaching thread 1/4” UNC / 3/8” UNC Special feature SWAROVISION technology Optical coatings: SWAROTOP, SWARODUR, SWAROCLEAN  Submersion tightness in ft: 4 Functional temperature in °F: -13 to +131  Storage temperature in °F: -22 to +158

Warranty SWAROVSKI OPTIK offers a lifetime warranty on the optical system of our products for products purchased by US and Canadian residents from an authorized SWAROVSKI OPTIK North American dealer. Once examined, if it is determined that the optical system is defective we will repair or replace the instrument or defective part. SWAROVSKI OPTIK warrants all other parts of the instrument for ten years from date of purchase against defects in materials or workmanship, subject to normal use. All non-optical products (i.e. accessories, tripods etc.) are warranted for two years from date of purchase.

Last edited:
Here are some U.S. prices.
BTX Eyepiece $2690
1.7x Extender $369
PTH Professional Tripod Head $630
new Balance Rail $199

Thanks for posting that proudpapa. A 60º AFOV (apparently measured) is OK, but a little disappointing. I suppose it's the price paid for the extra prism length added by the beamsplitter and rhomboid prisms. Six pounds doesn't seem too bad to me since I already use a nine pound scope, but many people won't like that, especially combined with a heavier tripod head. Add the hefty prices and I don't expect to see many BTXs in my neck of the woods.

Last edited:
Several binoviewers have been available for astronomical telescopes for years. I use one and have used it on a small 90mm apochromatic astronomical telescope for birding. The ability to use both eyes is marvelous. It's very comfortable and detail is easier to see. In spite of the beamsplitter and resulting light loss, the view doesn't seem to suffer.

Pretty exciting addition to the Swaro line, IMHO.

Clear skies, Alan

For anyone wishing to try these new products CleySpy will be the first to have them on Sunday 30th April followed by Minsmere on Monday the 1st May.

Not sure what happened to the originally trumpeted "Swarovski European Launch Tour", but it seems they want to keep it very low key at present.

My coments

Binoviewer:
- I used a lot a binoviewer for birding (see http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#CR-binoviewing), and I can assure that is another dimension of birding. Those that never tried it, should do it!...
- I would prefer that there were 2 versions: - a BATX and a BSTX... As there is only the BTX I wish great success to Swarosvki and hope than in the future there will exist both versions and with zoom...;)
- The BTX AFOV might be similar to the Kowa Highlander (both producers seem to use different ways of measuring the AFOVs), but will be too distant from the Docter... Using both eyes induce less dependence of AFOVs (we seem to view larger AFOVs, besides the pseudo-3D effect...), but the "WOW" factor of the Docter should be higher. The BTX wins in all practical details.

Extender:
- Will have one as soon as possible!...:t:
- Perfect for my needs and will transform the X95 on the ultimate cr-birding telescope. Will compare it to the Optolyth 100 with the Baader zoom and a 1.6x barlow (see http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Test_of_a_1.6x_magnifier and http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm#Test_of_my_present_preferred_cr-telescopes);
- I understand that normal birders would prefer smaller increase factor but most will be surprised with the views at 120x!...;)

I remember being told 65mm was more than enough. Then, truly, all birders needed 400X magnification for terrestrial use (yes, 400X is hyperbole) which meant an objective near 100mm. Of course, light weight was important so lighter tripods were introduced. But, the bigGER scope meant a BIGger tripod. Now we're told to go back to a narrow fixed 30X view and learn to enjoy what we've been missing all these years. I know, you can get 35X but that requires the BIG body, a better tripod and a rail system. And, silly me, one can MAGnify the view with a nifty extender. Wow, that's all the way back to 60X on the 95mm body! This is simply fantastic! B :)B :)B :)

Next new thing...rebirth of the porro!

I surprised that nobody has raised the obvious, if naive, question whether it's feasible to view through one eyepiece and take photos/video with a small camera or phone through the other ...

I surprised that nobody has raised the obvious, if naive, question whether it's feasible to view through one eyepiece and take photos/video with a small camera or phone through the other ...

It would work quite well and is in fact the more useful solution to the problem than the Photoscope approach that Zeiss offered a while back.
Zeiss had the expensive beam splitter and then integrated an expensive, but immediately obsolete 7 mega pixel camera into the scope.
Swaro leaves the camera decisions up to you. I think they will be handsomely rewarded for their intelligent design choices.

It would work quite well and is in fact the more useful solution to the problem than the Photoscope approach that Zeiss offered a while back.
Zeiss had the expensive beam splitter and then integrated an expensive, but immediately obsolete 7 mega pixel camera into the scope.
Swaro leaves the camera decisions up to you. I think they will be handsomely rewarded for their intelligent design choices.

Thanks. I was just a bit surprised that none of the technologically savvy people here had raised the issue or, come to that, Swarovski weren't offering a purpose made adaptor

question whether it's feasible to view through one eyepiece and take photos/video with a small camera or phone through the other ...

Good question! Possibly it works with a smartphone, but I think that a camera with adapter attached to one ocular would be too bulky to allow viewing through the other ocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back