• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss 7x42 FL size? (1 Viewer)

mwnold

I currently have a 8x42 EDG and find them to be great bins. But, I am not getting along with their size and weight. I am considering going to a 8x32 format(probably the Ziess) and also considering the Zeiss 7x42. On paper the 7x42 appears to be smaller and lighter than the EDG. The extra brightness it would provide appeals to me.

Ideally I would like a bin that would fit nicely into large cargo type pockets. Anyone have real world experience with these bins? Would the 7x42 provide a meaningful improvement in regards to size and weight? Or I am forced to go the 8x32 route?

I currently have a 8x42 EDG and find them to be great bins. But, I am not getting along with their size and weight. I am considering going to a 8x32 format(probably the Ziess) and also considering the Zeiss 7x42. On paper the 7x42 appears to be smaller and lighter than the EDG. The extra brightness it would provide appeals to me.

Ideally I would like a bin that would fit nicely into large cargo type pockets. Anyone have real world experience with these bins? Would the 7x42 provide a meaningful improvement in regards to size and weight? Or I am forced to go the 8x32 route?

The 7x42 FL would not be much different in size compared to the Nikon EDG.
Maybe 2 oz. lighter, at 26 oz. And dimensions are close.
It is hard to have it all, but these are not pocket binoculars.

I think you should look for a 32 mm. binocular, lighter and smaller.
You would however give up low light brightness or transmission with the
smaller objectives.

Jerry

The 8x32 EDG weighs 3 oz. less than the 8x42 model, but is less than inch shorter. So you save on weight but not much on size.

OTOH, the Zeiss 8x32 FL is significantly smaller than the 7x42 and weighs only 19.7 oz. However, if you like the warm color balance of the EDG, you will not find that in the FL. Closest you can come at the alpha level to the EDG in that regard is the Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD, which is the same weight as the Zeiss, but slightly smaller dimensions.

The lightest 8x42 bin that I'm aware of at the premium quality level is the Minox 8x43 HD MIG @ 22.9 oz. They are also fairly small for a full sized bin. The trade-off is a smaller FOV, which is 7.2*.

So there you have a few choices. The other trade offs is that you don't get as much depth perception with midsized bins as you do with full sized model, but that's something that perceptual and varies person to person. You might not notice this they way I do.

What is the issue with the weight? Is it the feel around your neck or the heft in your hands? If it's around your neck, a binoharness will take care of that, if it's in your hands, then you either need to go down to an 8x32 (at the alpha level) or a lighter and smaller full sized bin such as the Minox.

I'm assuming WP is important? If not, also consider the 8x30 EII (20 oz.) and 8x32 SE (22 oz.). Both are small though not as narrow as roofs and lightweight, and the optics are close to alpha level for a fraction of the cost.

Brock

Another option is the Swarovski SV 8*32. It has the flat field of the EDG and is about the same size as the EDG 32, however it has the same weight as the Leica and Zeiss.
Or in a 42 size the lightest alpha is the Leica Ultravid 8x42 BL.

Ben.

I have to agree with Jerry.

FL 42mms are not pocket binoculars.

FL 32mms are definitely neat and compact as are Leicas 32mms.

I favour Zeiss, my wife favours Leica.

You need to try them out as they feel quite different in the hand.

Good luck.

Lee

Thanks, all very good info. My primary use will be for archery hunting. I just hate having something hanging from my neck while hunting. Also while in my stand I already have my safety harness on. Another harness just is not practical.

Looks like I am forced to go the x32 route. I will also check out the Minox.

Thanks again.

Thanks, all very good info. My primary use will be for archery hunting. I just hate having something hanging from my neck while hunting. Also while in my stand I already have my safety harness on. Another harness just is not practical.

Looks like I am forced to go the x32 route. I will also check out the Minox.

Thanks again.

You might check this quote out, posted on the other 7x FL thread:

This discussion brings the Trinovid 32 BN And BA series to mind. They had a holster accessory that you could clip to the belt--hence, make them very accessible like being in a cargo pants, but with better freedom of movement. The nearest I can come to this functionality is through S4Gear suspenders.​

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back