• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

QC, Alphas, Pete Dunne, Internet vs. Specialty Store.... (1 Viewer)

FWIW, Leif responded to my reply to one of his early posts in his second incarnation almost identically as he did to Henry's. In fact, it was my citation of Henry's review of the 8x56 FL that first incited his feelings of being replied to as if he were ignorant, because he said he had made the same observations that Henry did but long before Henry. As if I were supposed to know that! Besides, even though I replied to his post, I was also addressing the general discussion for everyone, just as Henry was.

From that post and others that followed, I concluded that Leif either has a "chip on his shoulder" like Rodney Dangerfield or he's treated like royalty at work and expects the same special treatment here, so I had Prof. Oz award him an Honorary Doctor of Thinkology, so no-one again would think him ignorant, but I guess Henry didn't see that (I told Leif to post the diploma in his signature!). ;)

My advice to Lief: You have much to contribute to BF with your extensive knowledge of optics, but if you want people to reply to your posts without fear of reprisal, don't always assume what they're saying is a personal attack on your intellectual prowess. A guy with your optics "chops" shouldn't have an ego that's so easily bruised.

<B>

Last edited by a moderator:
For example Henry said: "As you guessed, when the aperture is reduced longitudinal CA and spherical aberration always improve"

He was suggesting I was unaware of that basic fact.

Leif

For the record, what part of "As you guessed" makes you think that Henry is saying that you didn't guess/are unaware?

Puzzled Lee

Leif,
If you haven't already read some of Henry's binocular reviews, I think you'd find them enjoyable. Here is a list of all the BF binocular threads that he has started, about half of which describe measurements relating to the performance of well known models.

http://www.birdforum.net/search.php?searchid=13534172

There's nothing optically earth shaking here, but his novel methods, startling insights, excellent photographs and clear writing are stuff that any amateur optics buff would enjoy. Sometimes they are as much basic optics review as product review, but, as you already know, most of us need it badly! He is even capable, in rare moments of giddy inspiration, of an indefensible opinion.
Ron

Last edited:
FWIW, Leif responded to my reply to one of his early posts in his second incarnation almost identically as he did to Henry's. In fact, it was my citation of Henry's review of the 8x56 FL that first incited his feelings of being replied to as if he were ignorant, because he said he had made the same observations that Henry did but long before Henry. As if I were supposed to know that! Besides, even though I replied to his post, I was also addressing the general discussion for everyone, just as Henry was.

From that post and others that followed, I concluded that Leif either has a "chip on his shoulder" like Rodney Dangerfield or he's treated like royalty at work and expects the same special treatment here, so I had Prof. Oz award him an Honorary Doctor of Thinkology, so no-one again would think him ignorant, but I guess Henry didn't see that (I told Leif to post the diploma in his signature!). ;)

My advice to Lief: You have much to contribute to BF with your extensive knowledge of optics, but if you want people to reply to your posts without fear of reprisal, don't always assume what they're saying is a personal attack on your intellectual prowess. A guy with your optics "chops" shouldn't have an ego that's so easily bruised.

<B>

I do not care for your offensive personal remarks or cod psychology. :C

Gentlemen, please lets try and get along, this part of Birdforum (optics) has become a great part of BF and it is read widely all around the world, this personal attack thing is not good from anyone and if we have to start moderating it, it would be a shame. I am writing this after receiving complaints about certain individuals and without naming names but you know, I know who you are , So please STICK to the subjects in hand and either ignore each other or get along.

Thanks kindly

Steve

Leif,
If you haven't already read some of Henry's binocular reviews, I think you'd find them enjoyable. Here is a list of all the BF binocular threads that he has started, about half of which describe measurements relating to the performance of well known models.

http://www.birdforum.net/search.php?searchid=13534172

There's nothing optically earth shaking here, but his novel methods, startling insights, excellent photographs and clear writing are stuff that any amateur optics buff would enjoy. Sometimes they are as much basic optics review as product review, but, as you already know, most of us need it badly! He is even capable, in rare moments of giddy inspiration, of an indefensible opinion.
Ron

Ron,

This is what I've been asking Henry for, that is, his "collected works" put in a technical section somewhere on BF the way they have a "technical report" section on Cloudy Nights with Edz's reports and others. I was happy to see you posed his link (no pun intended), but unfortunately, I'm only getting an error message when I click on it:

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

How do I pull up all the threads that Henry started? I can only find his individual posts by clicking on his name and scrolling down the menu to "See more posts by henry link".

<B>

Brock,

Go into the search icon at the upper right hand corner of the screen. Click on the advanced search option. Once you get to the advanced search screen type in "binoculars" as the search term in the left hand box and type in Henry's screen name in the box on the right. Be sure to just pick the binoculars forum to search in the box on the lower right.

Dang, the link doesn't work does it? I searched Binoculars and all the subforums, by highlighting them all. And tell it to show threads, not posts, that way you'll see just the title of each thread.
Ron

Click under his name. Click on public profile. Then Click on "threads started." There are 36 of them listed.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back