• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To light to heavy so in between (1 Viewer)

coonan

I am kind of new here so any help you can give I am sure will help. For 25 years I have been with my 40 oz B&L discovers in 7x50,but they are now to heavy. My wife has a pair of 7x35's at 20 oz. but they are acting like the heavy 7x50's they wobble to light . I like 7 power so a 7x42 Leica ultra vid might fix the problem at 27 oz's What do you think ? And are they a good bino I have not seen much about them. I do not want to get to near 40oz again.Do you think 27oz is enough ? may be to hard for you to know anyway ,Thanks for your input.

For general purpose, a 7x with 6mm exit pupil has a lot to like. Easy to hold, easy to look through. Not too heavy, not too light, go for it!

While you are at it, try the older 7x42 Dialyt too. They are real comfortable to use.

Last edited:
I never heard anybody complain about a 27 binocular being too light. I think you'll get used to it and like it. Since you are happy with 7x, I think a 7x42 is the way to go.

I have used several Leicas although not that exact one, and they have all been excellent. Of the tip top models currently being made, the Ultravid HD is the only one that comes in a 7x42. You could probably still find a Zeiss FL 7x42 for a better price than a new Leica, try both if you can. The Swarovski SLC neu 7x42 has been out of production so long it would probably be hard to find a new one.
Ron

Another top choice would be the Nikon EDG 7x42. Optics at the highest level.

Ron has mentioned some other great choices also.

Jerry

Leica's HD Ultravid is a lovely view and easy to hold steady. But check out the Zeiss FL for brightness and for its closer focusing. Ideally try them both side by side if possible.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back