• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x32 SV vs 8x42 HT (1 Viewer)

In general I would tend to agree.

On the other hand I took the comparison to be more of a "best all around binocular" sort of post. Many would argue that the SV 8x32 is probably the best all around roof currently available. Then the HT was introduced and since it is only available in full-sized configurations at the moment then there was not an option to compare it with anything else.

Or it could just be that the comparison was also based on the ergonomic qualities of each bin. I haven't tried the HTs yet but reports have stated that they are exceptionally ergonomic. The SVs certainly are.

Just some thoughts that popped into my head after reading the post.

Last edited:
It seems odd to compare a x32 with a x42 then start discussing minute differences, particularly brightness.

Stan

In complete agreement, the only true comparision, is to compare the 8 x 42 HT with the 8.5 x 42 Swarovision, which I did on 2 occasions before opting for the HT's (see main HT thread, if you can be bothered wading through all the dross). A friend has the 8 x 32 Swarovisions, and IMHO, in all but the best light conditions, there is just no comparision to either x 42 models.

Also if the image that I saw through my eye, was the same as those pictures posted on here and on other threads, then I wouldnt have bought either!

On the other hand I took the comparison to be more of a "best all around binocular" sort of post.

I wish there were more of these.
Because outside the ivory tower of binomania this is, IMO, what the majority of potential binocular-buyers would search for:
One decent binocular to cover as many tasks as possible. No matter what price range, thats a very important feature of a semi-specialized tool like a binocular.

Be careful....
I live inside a mature forest with trees up to 120' and see loads of tree-induced distortion (while panning) in an Ultravid 7X42 and an older 6X32 that have fair amounts of pincushion. And, it's never gone away. My Swarovision on the other hand does not, I repeat does not, deliver anything but an enjoyable view within our forested environment. Yes, I pan early and often for early spring warblers!

I know exactly what you're talking about. Other situations of binoculars use in nature I find very distracting with a distored view are at shores or lakeshores when the horizon is a bending line with such devices. Even the ordinary view along a road or path the depth perception of perspective is distracted by pincushion distorsion just in the way it happens with the well known optical illusion called ponzo illusion. Due to the increasing magnification towards the edges of FOV that comes with that distorsion, the road seems to expand in the distance, while our experience of visual perception expects the normal perspective of convergence.

Steve

Last edited:
Fair comment concerning a 32mm vs a 42mm bino in the brightness department..

What I was trying to do with the review is compare two popular 8x binoculars until a 32mm HT comes out.

For a 32mm bino I think the Swarovski faired extremely well, when in theory the HT should be about 70% brighter.

Cheers Tim

Fair comment concerning a 32mm vs a 42mm bino in the brightness department..

What I was trying to do with the review is compare two popular 8x binoculars until a 32mm HT comes out.

For a 32mm bino I think the Swarovski faired extremely well, when in theory the HT should be about 70% brighter.

Cheers Tim

Tim

It was a comparison well worth doing. I am sure many folks only have ambitions to have one pair of bins and one of the many questions they want to answer is 32 vs 42, model A or model B.

You can feel good about a well presented and thought out comparison.

Lee

Tim

It was a comparison well worth doing. I am sure many folks only have ambitions to have one pair of bins and one of the many questions they want to answer is 32 vs 42, model A or model B.

You can feel good about a well presented and thought out comparison.

Lee

Exactly! :t: Who knows - "one" set of bins might even be the "norm" out in the "real" world! :-O

Chosun :gh:

I wouldn't even discount the brightness comparison. If it was done in normal daylight, surely the eye's pupils were smaller than the 4mm of the 8x32's exit pupils. By the usual thinking here at least, the more transmissive, not the bigger, binocular should appear brighter in that setting.
Ron

I envy those who can detect transmission differences of 3 to 5%.

I have compared the Zeiss 8x32 FL against a Nikon Premier 8x42 at dusk, and preferred the view of the Zeiss.

I have also compare the same Zeiss against a Docter 8x42 B/CF indoors in dim light, again failing to appreciate the added aperture of the Docter.

Must be my eyes.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back