• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron eyepiece fault? (1 Viewer)

trig

Hi all

recently purchased an Opticron scope and HDF zoom eyepiece which is my first scope ( mail order return, described as new ). There is more to this post than I am telling at present.

My question is should there be any imperfections in the eyepiece lens? At the lower magnifications 20X and 30X, I can see what appears to be a small bubble that appears slightly fractured. At the higher magnifications it cannot be seen when viewing.

trig

trig said:
Hi all

recently purchased an Opticron scope and HDF zoom eyepiece which is my first scope ( mail order return, described as new ). There is more to this post than I am telling at present.

My question is should there be any imperfections in the eyepiece lens? At the lower magnifications 20X and 30X, I can see what appears to be a small bubble that appears slightly fractured. At the higher magnifications it cannot be seen when viewing.

trig

Hi trig

Scampo reported a similar problem a few years ago, send it back

oh welcome to the forum

Bubbles can occur in optical glass and be present, without causing any apparent loss of quality, but if a problem is visible in the image, then it is clearly (?) faulty.

Pete

Thanks for the replies. I've been offered a refund, but considering how much I paid for the eyepiece I'll keep it.

trig

trig said:
Hi all

trig
As Pete suggests (what a memory that man has!), I eventually gave up with Opticron for similar faults - and marks in the main objective lenses, too. I think I was unlucky as the make is a good one, for sure. The fault you describe, though, is not confined to Opticron, I'm sure. There has to be some technical reason why this happens at the very lowest magnification to show up these faults.

Whatever you paid, I'd keep in mind that it will render the eyepiece virtually unsaleable in the future. I presume you got it at a bargain price.

Last edited:
Henry B said:
Sounds faulty to me.I have the same e/peice with no such imperfections. Have you tried cleaning it.

Hi, as you all seem to have used the HDF zoom, just a quick query.

I had a look through one of these and I found that the eye cup moved with the zoom. Can't remember which way round it was but I think that when I zoomed in, the eye cup came down. Is this some clever way of maintaing eye relief or is it a fault?

Cheers

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back