• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (48 Viewers)

Me too.

The last few days have read really well for Yorkshire. What's reality been like - who from BF has connected with what?

I thought there was not enough time to get to Patrington for the Sharp-tailed on the evening when news broke, and can't make the coast and still get to work on time in the mornings, so I set off for Spurn after work on the Monday at about the same time as the Sandpiper set off for whereever.
Since the Collared Fly didn't seem identifiable on field views I didn't bother with that.
Again I couldn't make Flamborough the day the Eastern Olivaceous Warbler turned up, and couldn't make the mornings when it seemed more reliable. Initially I was gong to wait for the weekend, but cracked and went on Friday evening. It had not been seen for four hours when I arrived, so I went wandering away from the stile area and it showed well once before I arrived back. After that there were just two untickable flight views.
I had a commitment at 7 o'clock yesterday evening (the first Sunday I've been tied up in ages) so couldn't get out for the Flycatcher, which now seems to have gone, so that certainly three (possibly four) Yorkshire ticks and two (possibly three) lifers missed in a couple of weeks. Can anyone top that?

I thought the Brown Fly would be be a blocker for years.

So did I! I was in the US the last time, so it was a very welcomed tick.

I nearly missed it second time round as I didn’t hear the text arrive from Birdguides. Fortunately James called me just as I was leaving the house on a nonbird-related mission.

The Flycatcher showed extremely well after a long walk and even longer wait at the site. A Garden Warbler and Pied Flycatcher caused a couple of false alarms but hopefully everyone waited around long enough for the star bird to perform.

Last edited:
I had a commitment at 7 o'clock yesterday evening (the first Sunday I've been tied up in ages) so couldn't get out for the Flycatcher, which now seems to have gone, so that certainly three (possibly four) Yorkshire ticks and two (possibly three) lifers missed in a couple of weeks. Can anyone top that?

I went for both the EOW & BF and dipped both, EOW was missed by apparantly 4 minutes. BF had disaapeared by the time i got there and i left just before the RBF was found in bemption car park.

On the other hand i've watched Peregrine and Hobby hunting over the last few days, curlew sand at fairburn and a funny looking wheatear at flamborough that i think may have been a greenland variety, i need to quiz more experienced birders.

so its a mixed bag for me.

cheers mark.

Went to Bempton Cliffs today and saw spotted and pied flycatchers close to the visitor centre. One bird appeared different and it appears a red breasted has been seen there this afternoon. Only the spotted showed well with the other birds a little bit further back being less showy. There was a warbler there too that had a very prominent supercillium that looked just wrong for a willow warbler.
The problem was that when I saw these birds there was only one other person there at the same time and he couldn't be sure what they were.
Bummer!

Didnt see the reported Red Breasted fly up at bempton reserve, but had 1 spotted and 2 pied fly's and a willow tit at the bird feeders, and coming home had a fieldfare west over flamborough allotments

I've managed to miss all the goodies so far, but not bothered about the brown fly as I got the Old Fall bird the other year. Did manage to see African collared dove in Gran Canaria last week though so I'm happy with that.

I've done okay. I went for the Sharp-tailed on its second day, knowing full well the tide was falling, and the chances were slim. I'd planned to go after work which would have been a disaster. In the end the morning report prompted an emergency holiday. With no sign on arrival at Pat. Haven I decided to go to Spurn to kill time and have a brew at the Blue Bell until the tide turned. PH is further from Spurn than I thought and I was just thinking I had put too many miles between me and the bird should it return, when I rounded the corner at Kilnsea and saw everyone lined up!

Also got the Ollie as previously mentioned.

Didn't bother with the Collared even though I need it. The Semi-p, Citrine Wagtail, Great Snipe and Booted Warbler were pretty much untwitchable, (I need the former for Yorks.).

I got the previous Brown Fly but was set to go over tonight if it had been on.

2010 -v- 2009

With a third of the year left including the top notch months of September and October I'm already on for a much better year for new additions to the Yorkshire list than last.

Last year I managed three in total. I'm already up to five, and have still managed to dip three potentially four others.

Of these dips, I'm not too worried about Black-winged Stilt and Purple Heron - both likely to occur again soon. I'm not even too worried about Collared Fly (not a true dip as I didn't try) if indeed I have missed one - I think there'll be another Spring male.

My biggest concern is Savi's Warbler, which may be a while!

The Lawts predictor says Arctic Warbler is overdue. Let's see what the wind blows in.

Last edited:
OK so far today, down the coast between Filey and Spurn we have...

Ortolan Bunting x 3
Icterine Warbler x 3
Barred Warbler x 4
Wryneck x 3
Common Rosefinch x 2
Firecrest
Spotted Crake
Red-rumped Swallow
Long-tailed Skua x 3

Bets on how much is left for the weekend...? ;)

Let's hope this weather holds. I've got tomorrow off work! Keep getting updates abou what's being found on my patch (scarborough castle) which is making the working day drag. Roll on 5!

typical

Bloody typical just been to my caravan at Withernsea, stormy sea yesterday and good gales blowing chucked it down last night wanted to go to spurn today but had to come home early for the wifes visit to the hospital and then on reading u reports find 8 lifers knocking around the area but stuck back in sheffield for a few days , no doubt they will have gone by Friday grrrr!!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back