• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping Adapters (1 Viewer)

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of using the camera/scope adapters advertised on the following website:

http://www.cursorius.com/digiscoping.html

They seem expensive but I like the idea that they can be removed in seconds thereby not restricting the use of your scope for its primary purpose, a scope! I understand that they are available in the UK but am waiting to be contacted by the UK distributor.

They certainly look the part but way too expensive, especially with all the competition around at the moment.

I've studied the design of this and the other slip-on tubes, and it seems as if it can't be more than a second in difference between attaching the camera in this fashion to using an L.C.E. adapter with a single screw.
The zoom cut-out is nice, but new developments from L.C.E. may be around the corner and at less ££. And it will fit on a straight scope.
Andy Bright

LE2 Plus and Leica 77

Andy
I have just gotten the Leica APO 77 (with the 20x60 zoom eyepiece) and a CP 995. I have ordered the LE2 Plus adapter. Do you have experience with that combination? Is there anything I have to remove from the eyepiece to make it function properly?

Any help appreciated.

Cheryl Johnson
Campton, NH

Dylan

Since discovering this website last week I have learnt so much! Following advice from Andy Bright I have decided to go for a Nikon 4500 camera and I think you have given me the answer as to which single adapter to use to attach my 2 Swaro 80 eyepieces (X30 and X20-60). Sounds like the LE 2 Plus will do the job.

I have one question regarding the internal metal band that clamps on to the eyepiece. It occurs to me that this is metal on metal so will cause scratching or does it hold on to the rubber eye cup?

David,
The LCE adapter leaves no marks or scratches on the scope eyepiece. I've not used the LE2 Plus so cannot comment on it.

The new LCE adapter Andy mentions sounds very good, but pricey.

I'd only recommend the LE2+ if you really use 2 eyepieces regularly... It has a 37mm thread so you need a step-ring to get the thread to 28mm for a Nikon... this takes the camera lens further away from the eyepiece glass and increases vignetting, you should be able to zoom past the vignetting on the LE2+ but you probably wont be able to zoom back very far on the camera before vignetting appears. To some extent it depends upon the eyepiece in use.

If you're in the U.K. I'd definitely have second thoughts on the LE2+ because it is so expensive.... you could buy at least 2 L.C.E. custom-fit adapters for a similar price that would give less vignetting and be quicker to attach and detach from the e.p.

L.C.E have only one type of adapter available at the moment, the original type (usually £49.00)... slightly more up market looking than the early L.C.E. adapter pics on my website.
It's likely that they will have another type in the near future, a two part slip-over design but useable on straight scopes and with zoom cut-out.... but not yet and the price will be closer to £100 than £50.

btw. If you are worried aboput the metal band marking the e.p... just wrap a bit of electrical tape around the e.p. barrel. I haven't found it has marked the e.p. but I don't worry too much about marks on my scope.

Andy

Last edited:
I was quoted £60 plus £5 p&p for an adapter from LCE? I thought the Nikon 4500 thread was 32mm as it says 7.85-32mm on the lens. Is this just the zoom range?

Hi Andrew, the L.C.E. prices can vary according to the eyepiece size.... the new Swaro' zoom is a big eyepiece. Most L.C.E adapters are typically £50.
Nikon thread size is 28mm. 7.85-32mm is the actual focal length of the lens.
Andy

Be aware that there are lots of unhappy people around after ordering Thad's adapter (and not getting anything from him). Always seemed like a nice bloke to me.... but may have got out of his depth marketing and selling it.
Perhaps better now? but just be careful if ordering.
Andy B

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back