• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscope adapter for £11.75 ! (1 Viewer)

IanF

After looking at various types of commercial adapters, they looked to be pretty straight forward so I had a go myself.

Mine is designed for the Nikon 4500 + Kowa 823.

Simply take 4x 49mm filter mounts (I have loads of these from my 35mm & B&W days) - screw them together. Epoxy glue a 28mm -> 37mm step ring to the inside of a 37mm -> 49mm step ring and file off the inside (37mm) lip of the step ring to enable closer positioning of the camera lens to eyepiece. Screw the step ring to the filters though you could glue it in place too.
In the second in filter from the outside edge simply drill a hole to fit a flat ended screw. Prior to drilling, fit the mount in place on the camera and mark the top surface where to drill the hole. Use a plastic or metal screw just as a lock screw.
There you have it.

Screw the 28mm end to the Nikon, the mount easily slips over the 32xW eyepiece like a glove and locks in place using the screw.

If you are wondering why those step ring sizes, it's because they are readily available of the shelf for £4.90 each plus £1.95 p&p !

Attachments

• home made digiscope adaptero.jpg
    home made digiscope adaptero.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 710
Last edited:
I'm impressed - well done. Trouble is, I have no DIY ability at all - I broke my hacksaw last night opening a tin of corned beef (don't ask).

Tony

Another small but significant insight into the life of T0ny from Paston. If I didn't know you were an incomer to Norfolk, I might be tempted to look through your lineage!

You're welcome, Peter - I'm part Welsh, part Irish, part German, and part 'where-the-hell-did-he-go ?'

Good luck

Tony

Nice one Ian. How does the securing bolt's thread grip to the hole for it? It's getting a good thread on the hole for the securing bolt to grip to that people I always struggled with. A nice 'tap & die' set would help me!
Regards,
Andy

Andybrightuk said:
Nice one Ian. How does the securing bolt's thread grip to the hole for it? It's getting a good thread on the hole for the securing bolt to grip to that people I always struggled with. A nice 'tap & die' set would help me!
Regards,
Andy
Hi Andy,

I just drilled a hole through the filter side at the thickest point with my Como modelers drill kit. I ground it out to the correct size for a steel threaded knurled nut and then literally just screwed it into position. It's almost self threaded the hole.
I'm not even sure the srew is needed as the filter sheath is such a snug fit and holds the camera in place regardless.
I have some FixWiz repair sticks which sets like steel and can be threaded using a screw. I can only describe it as a sort of epoxy putty. I successfully used it to repair my cameras stripped tripod mount which is plastic.
I was going to use that to build up a threaded mount for the bolt but it hasn't been needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back