• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What do FZ18 users think of there Camera? (1 Viewer)

Orionthehunter

As the title of the thread asks 'What do FZ18 users think of there camera?' but in more detail how do you find it for Bird shots/Nature?

I ask as I am after a second camera (currently own a 350D) and one which I can take anywhere and not worry about having a huge lens attached etc etc.

Is this camera ok without the Teleconvertors or is it really needed for birding Photos? also is a Tripod required for the camera?

I should point out I like to take Macro Shots too.(Flowers/Insects)..

Any info would be fantastic:t:

Many thanks

James|:$|

As the title of the thread asks 'What do FZ18 users think of there camera?' but in more detail how do you find it for Bird shots/Nature?

I ask as I am after a second camera (currently own a 350D) and one which I can take anywhere and not worry about having a huge lens attached etc etc.

Is this camera ok without the Teleconvertors or is it really needed for birding Photos? also is a Tripod required for the camera?

I should point out I like to take Macro Shots too.(Flowers/Insects)..

Any info would be fantastic:t:

Many thanks

James|:$|

Hi James,

I did things the opposite way round to you. I bought an FZ18 first, to complement my digiscoping, but later bought a DSLR (a Canon 40D). However, I have certainly not stopped using my FZ18. For what it is, it is a super little camera.

As has been said on other threads, it suffers from noise at anything above ISO200 (or even 100, some might say), so it is really only at its best in good light. It also has a limited dynamic range, which results in light areas of pictures being burnt out. It's also not much cop for birds in flight.

I haven't used it with a teleconverter, but many users have had considerable success with them. I certainly don't use it with a tripod. For me, that would defeat the whole point of the camera: its portability.

To sum up, I think the FZ18 is a great little camera, which is very good value for money. Of course, it has its faults and it doesn't produce the quality of image that you will get with a DSLR. But, if you want to travel light but still give yourself the chance of getting decent pictures, in my opinion it's hard to beat. I've attached one or two pics to show you what it can do.

Malcolm

Attachments

• purple sandpiper.jpg
    purple sandpiper.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 353
  • Red-breasted merganser.jpg
    Red-breasted merganser.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 318
  • Wheatear.jpg
    Wheatear.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 407
  • Black-throated diver.jpg
    Black-throated diver.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 328
Hello Malcolm,

Many thanks for the quick response and info, noise levels don't bother me so much as this can be edited out and looking at the images you have captured it's pretty fantastic to think you can get those from a compact/super zoom. It's good to hear you don't need a tripod too :)

Just reading up on the Specs and I notice there is a RAW mode thats pretty handy isn't it? esp with noise and maybe burn out(sorry thinking aloud)..

Regards

James

Is this camera ok without the Teleconvertors or is it really needed for birding Photos?

You can get a lot of nice shots using the camera without a teleconverter or tripod. (See some of my better ones here: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=1130683#post1130683). However, in my experience, small birds need to be fairly close to get an aesthetically satisfying shot with nice detail (as opposed to an ID shot); I would say within 20 or 25 feet for very small birds like warblers. And larger birds, such as ducks, need to be within 80 feet or so. So you do have to wait for good opportunities.

I am going on a pelagic trip at the end of this month, and decided to get a teleconverter for that and may also start using it in other situations as well.

As for how it compares in terms of image quality with a DSLR, I have yet to see a set of side-by-side comparison shots, and I really think that is the only way to make a meaningful evaluation. But I expect the differences, at least in good light, are less than most people assume.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Thank you Jim more valuable info for me.

Just ordered the Camera with an intention of getting the Teleconvertor Lens at a later date as well as the Macro Lens (No idea which one though)..

Should have some Images this week all being well.

Regards

James

PS:Lovely Photos Jim

Hi,

I have seen good macro shots taken with this camera and the Raynox DCR-250 closeup lense and the DCR-150 as well. I have the FZ18 and use it a lot with the Olympus TCON-17 here in the UK. When I first bought the camera I took it to India, didn't have a TCON back then but didn't need it over there gernerally as birds there are less flighty than here in the UK. It is possible to get some birds in flight but quite difficult and nowhere near the quality as with a DSLR. Perched small birds a few metres away, ducks and waders further away in good light are all good with this cam though! :t: Some of my photos:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=FZ18&w=8773601@N03&s=rec

Hi Kittykat,

Thanks again for some good info! I don't suppose you know of a good UK retailer that sells the conversion lenses and needed Adapters per chance?

Funny I have been looking at your images over the weekend thinking how good they were, my fav from your posted link here has to be 'willow warbler' I love that bird and your image is very sharp/perfect I take it that was done with your Teleconvertor?

Regards

James

Hi Kittykat,

Thanks again for some good info! I don't suppose you know of a good UK retailer that sells the conversion lenses and needed Adapters per chance?

Funny I have been looking at your images over the weekend thinking how good they were, my fav from your posted link here has to be 'willow warbler' I love that bird and your image is very sharp/perfect I take it that was done with your Teleconvertor?

Regards

James

Thanks James- yes that was done with the TC attached and it was quite close. Showing well. I bought my TCON second hand from Ebay. Will have to have a think about where I found the adapter.

From memory I think I bought T-CON 17 from fotosense.co.uk and adaptor from ukdigital.co.uk.
Hope this helps.
I'm sure you'll love the camera!!

Thank you both again :)

Well the camera is on it's way and will be with me tomorrow (Day off work too so thats good timing), I will get the T-CON 17 (Not T-CON 17f :;) in a few weeks time.

Regards

James

I love the camera. I have only had it a few weeks. I can't be doing with digiscoping (I like passerines) and can't afford DSLR lenses. This Spotted Fly was taken hand held with a Nikon TC15ED converter which I got for peanuts off ebay and an adapter which I got in the US which I think is better than the UK one as it screws in and out.
Sean

Attachments

• spotfly2.jpg
    spotfly2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 350
I love the camera. I have only had it a few weeks. I can't be doing with digiscoping (I like passerines) and can't afford DSLR lenses. This Spotted Fly was taken hand held with a Nikon TC15ED converter which I got for peanuts off ebay and an adapter which I got in the US which I think is better than the UK one as it screws in and out.
Sean

Hi Sean,

Thanks for that I will check out that convertor also sounds good esp with some ED elements in the lens.

Just received the Camera and I am waiting for the Battery to charge up(Taps fingers on desk for the 10000000th time lol).

First thing I noticed was how light this camera is even with the battery installed WOW, secondly how bright the LCD screen very sharp and nice colours better than my 350D LCD!

Waiting for my SDHC card to come through (4 gig) and camera case hope to get them this week, meanwhile I have a 1gig SD card to get me going till then.

Off now to read up how to attach the Lens shade/adapter.

JamesB :)

I love my FZ18! Here are two shots I took late last night from my seat in a bar - no tripod so balanced camera on top of two glasses on top of a paper napkin dispenser, all a bit shaky.

One is maximum wide angle the other maximum zoom. Apart from resizing to satisfy forum no editing. The ship is the LPG carrier Arctic Voyager which is always parked near Gibraltar for some reason.

Here is a different bar room ship shot from yesterday, too:
http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=1222602&postcount=15

Attachments

• P1120068.JPG
    P1120068.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 219
  • P1120081.jpg
    P1120081.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 229
I have a Panasonic FZ20(12X zoom) and I will not shoot over 8X unless I'm using a tripod and a shutter release cable. No matter what a manufacturer claims about his anti-shake doo-hickey, I want the best image, and that is by using all the steadying implements I have at my disposal. I also think that 24x digital zoom is the reasonable limit of my camera although, theoretically, it is capable of 48x. Your own experience will eventually provide what limits you in this regard.

I have a Panasonic FZ20(12X zoom) and I will not shoot over 8X unless I'm using a tripod and a shutter release cable.

Well, I routinely use the full 18 times zoom on FZ18, hand held. In fact I have carried out tests using tripod and two second delay at one extreme right through to hand held at the other extreme and can usually find no difference in normal conditions out here (Gibraltar).

Sometimes, to my great surprise, I find the hand held shot on extreme zoom is better than the tripod shot! Admittedly, we have very bright light so it is normally shooting at 1/500 or quicker but even so still surprising how it freezes things.

On wide angle it also appears to freeze things. Night shot below is hand held at f2.8 and 1/15th sec.

Attachments

• P1140684R.jpg
    P1140684R.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 167
This is a 100% crop from a picture of a hummingbird with my fz18 (except for the crop, completely uneditied). Technical data includes:
iso 400, NR -2, 1/160 sec, f4.2, full zoom (18x), flash on, handheld, stabilizer mode 1. I have not experimented with stabilizer mode 2 yet.

I will later add this image (full frame) to the gallery.

Niels

Edit: not full frame, I liked the vertical crop better, but about ½ of the pixels from the original is here: http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/201727/ppuser/7427

Attachments

• P1000388 100pct crop.jpg
    P1000388 100pct crop.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

Does the FZ18 refer to the DMC-FZ18K ?

I digiscope for bird photography and shoot with a DSLR.

I've been thinking about a super zoom for the convenience. I've seen bird photo examples taken with the FZ18 that would make me happy, if I had to zoom far out I may at least get a id shot. Plus using it for general photos day to day.

Thanks!

Dana

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back