• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Has anyone seen a Hawfinch lately (1 Viewer)

People will claim to have seen them, but in my opinion they are mythical creatures just like lesser spotted woodpeckers and leprechauns

They can usually be seen at Bedgebury Pinetum in Kent in the winter months, although the numbers have dropped off in recent years.

What is the best places to see a Hawfinch?

The paddock area at Lynford Arboretum in Norfolk is pretty reliable during the winter, with a good range of other woodland species (I have seen Lesser Spotted Woodpecker there as well, but never a leprechaun).

I saw one (a Hawfinch) near Welshpool a couple of weeks ago.

Hi Kathy,
I see them everyday and whereas they have not used the feeders yet, hopefully it won't be too long. Also went to a town park today and surprise, surprise Hawfinch everywhere! Seriously, in the UK they are thin on the ground but here in this part of France they seem to be widespread and I'm not complaining.
regards
Merlin

Cromford Meadows in Derbyshire is another known Winter site for these birds. Up to a dozen last Winter but I've not heard of any returning yet this year.

The paddock area at Lynford Arboretum in Norfolk is pretty reliable during the winter, with a good range of other woodland species (I have seen Lesser Spotted Woodpecker there as well, but never a leprechaun).

I'd agree it's a great spot for them, probably best in Jan/Feb big flocks are recorded there (30+) - I've also seen lesser pecker there!

Has anyone here been lucky to have seen a Hawfinch in their garden at all?

What is the best places to see a Hawfinch?

Not very convenient for Bedfordshire, but my bird table is not a bad place sometimes

Attachments

• Hawfinch, labanoras 2.jpg
    Hawfinch, labanoras 2.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 167
I found them very easy to see in the Forest of dean last winter. Speech house or Brierly opposite the garage are the best spots, but my best veiws were from Nagshead in the elevated hide over looking the pool. I've also seen them from New fancy veiw but think that was unusual though.

The seed feeder is reasonable popular too

No Leprechauns, Hawfinches chased them away

Attachments

• Hawfinch thumb 3.jpg
    Hawfinch thumb 3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 173
Thank you for your replies everyone. Interesting to know about where HF's reside.

Jos are you trying to make me a teeny weeny bit jealous ;).
Oh you are lucky to have them in your garden, and on your feeders too!

Merlin you are lucky to see them in your garden too!!

LOL Sancho 3:) ;);)

Hi Postcardcv

Norfolk is not too far away so worth a look into. :-O

They are seen in lots of places so they are not as illusive as I thought. It is knowing where to find them :t:

Last edited:
It is their Irish upbringing :) They can't even hack our winter, all migrating back to sit upon the Blarney Stone for the season. At least our Hawfinches are made of better stuff.
LOL! Seriously, a work colleague of mine saw a Hawfinch in Co. Waterford earlier this year. (She´s 100% reliable). I haven´t heard of any recently, they turn up in ones and two in Co. Down occasionally. They used to be annual visitors to Hornbeam stands in Co. Limerick and (curiously) the zoo in Dublin, but that was long ago. I think I´ll emigrate to Lithuania ´cos you´re rulers are only marginally more inept than ours, and you´ve better birds. Any jobs for teachers over there?

Hi Postcardcv

It has just dawned on me that your aviator is a Hawfinch, and he is very handsome too ;) So I think this is one that you favour strongly as birds go. Have you seen one more than once?

Sancho: Big question have 'you' seen any Hawfinches in Ireland over the winter period at all?

Jos: Hawfinches look big and butch so they look resilient enough birds to cope with the cold - must be the bill LOL
Do you have them all year round them in your neck of the woods?

I've only seen Hawfinches twice and both times were in May 1986 at Jesmond Dene. Sadly they are no longer there.

BUT luckily I live just five minutes' walk from a very good spot to find this mythical species.....Hulne Park in Alnwick. They are often seen in the tops of the beech trees right next to the entrance gate!!! :t:

But.....I've still yet to see the darned things!!! :-O

I'll keep persevering :smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back