• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oman (1 Viewer)

Gabriel

Hello,

Any opinions on identifications of the birds in the pictures attached?
Picture quality in some is quite poor I am afraid...
All from Oman in february.

/Gabriel

Attachments

• OMAN2edt.jpg
    OMAN2edt.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 141
  • OMAN1edt.jpg
    OMAN1edt.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 130
  • OMAN3edt.jpg
    OMAN3edt.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 114
  • OMAN5edt.jpg
    OMAN5edt.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 129
  • OMAN4edtt.jpg
    OMAN4edtt.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 101
In the 1st pic is something strange for me. In the 2nd one seems to be a pipit...(could be a Water Pipit - let's wait for the experts!). In the pic 3 it is a Squacco Heron. In pic 4 are two Ringed Plovers. And in the last one it is a Curlew Sandpiper.

Last edited:
1) Either a Yellow or Citrine Wagtail. Some Citrine Wagtails might have rather dark lores and ear coverts, like this one:
http://www.birdsoman.com/Birds/118-Pipits/CitrineWagtail/CitrineWagtail1606.jpg

2) I agree on Water Pipit.

3) Either a Squacco or Indian Pond Heron. The weak streaking on the neck fits better the former and the apparent dark loral stripe the latter (but this feature is quite difficult to rule from the photo).

4) Lesser Sandplovers. For example the black legs rule out Ringed Plover. Separated from Greater Sandplover based on the bill shape.

5) Dunlin. A Curlew Sandpiper would be more slender and have a paler breast.

I'd go for Citrine Wag in the 1st photo as the wing bars seem a touch too strong and the ear coverts appear "hollow centred" (unless it's one of the eastern taxa of Yellow Wagtail, and then I'm not playing!)
Chris

Hi,

The Wagtail is quite tricky...
At first glance, my reaction was "Yellow".

Now, the face pattern seems to be within the variation of Citrine and is very close to the bird from Eilat, which is a "werae" by the way (see attached pics). The white wing bars look almost identical on the 2 birds. But note, on the bird from Israel, that the front colour is much lighter ("werae" feature?).

Maybe it's just the pic but the bird (and ear coverts) looks very dark for a Citrine, the "not so broad" supercilium is not really convincing for Citrine, undertail coverts colour is very difficult to tell...but am I the only one to see a yellowish tinge?

Not an easy bird anyway, but I'll stick with my initial though: Yellow Wagtail

Thanks for the responses!

1. I had this down as Citrine wagtail initially. After reading the responses I think perhaps yellow... But it is a difficult bird.
2. I agree on water pipit. I did not realize this initially as it is less common in that area.
3. I attach another picture with the barring showing more clearly. I think Indian Pond Heron?
4. Could be lesser. The bill looks small, but what is your view on the "bulging" wing bars - is that pointing towards Greater Sandplover? I think the subspecies of Greater Sandplover normally found in Oman is the smallest one.
5. Agree Dunlin

/Gabriel

Attachments

• Oman6bedt.jpg
    Oman6bedt.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 63
1. I had this down as Citrine wagtail initially. After reading the responses I think perhaps yellow... But it is a difficult bird.l

I'm not so sure you are wrong. It was taken in February and the bird is in extremely worn presumably 1w plumage. I have lightened the picture a little and attached it to make the features easier to see.

I think the following features point to Citrine:

1. The head pattern shows the classic pale surround to the ear-coverts and hollow centre. The lores also appear to be pale(ish)

2. There appears to be a hint of the darker border to the supercilium (above the super), typical of 1w Citrine.

3. Whats left of the covert and tertial fringes (especially the median coverts) are surely too bright white and broad for a worn 'yellow wagtail', and would be consistent with a worn Citrine.

4. Taken in February, I assume the bird is undergoing its pre-breeding moult and beginning to replace some of the body feathers, which seem to be the lovely lemon Yellow of a Citrine. I'm not convinced about the undertail-covert theory. On a 1w Yellow Wagtail, this should be the yellowest part of the bird. Here they look whitish or off white to me.

5. The upperparts appear the nice steely grey (tinged brown) of a Citrine.

An educational bird

Cheers

Pete

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Hi Pete,

Well I have to admit you made me change my mind! The enlightened pic shows some very strong indication for Citrine:
-grey back
-hollow centred ear coverts (much clearer now)
-no sign of yellow on the undertail covert
-the edge of the crown looks darker just over the eye (not sure about that one, I could be mistaken)

So now I am more in the "Citrine side"...

I'm not so sure you are wrong. It was taken in February and the bird is in extremely worn presumably 1w plumage. I have lightened the picture a little and attached it to make the features easier to see.

I think the following features point to Citrine:

1. The head pattern shows the classic pale surround to the ear-coverts and hollow centre. The lores also appear to be pale(ish)

2. There appears to be a hint of the darker border to the supercilium, typical of 1w Citrine.

3. Whats left of the covert and tertial fringes (especially the median coverts) are surely too bright white and broad for a worn 'yellow wagtail', and would be consistent with a worn Citrine.

4. Taken in February, I assume the bird is undergoing its pre-breeding moult and beginning to replace some of the body feathers, which seem to be the lovely lemon Yellow of a Citrine. I'm not convinced about the undertail-covert theory. On a 1w Yellow Wagtail, this should be the yellowest part of the bird. Here they look whitish or off white to me.

5. The upperparts appear the nice steely grey (tinged brown) of a Citrine.

I agree with Pete's sentiment, but pictures like these make me confused:
http://www.pbase.com/sundphoto/image/93454649
http://www.pbase.com/sundphoto/image/93454650
Note that points 1, 2 and 5 fit also the above linked Yellow Wagtail (it has some greenish feathers on the back, which should indeed make it a Yellow).

2. I agree on water pipit. I did not realize this initially as it is less common in that area.

Although perhaps not needed anymore, here are photos for further comparison:
http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=linto1138796927&lang=eng

3. I attach another picture with the barring showing more clearly. I think Indian Pond Heron?

Yes, Indian Pond Heron is probably the better choice, but I'm not sure. Check these notes:
http://www.tommypedersen.com/Squacco-IndianpondHeron.htm
Some Squacco Herons might be tough, like this one:
http://www.tarsiger.com/gallery/index.php?pic_id=komi1228039242&lang=eng

4. Could be lesser. The bill looks small, but what is your view on the "bulging" wing bars - is that pointing towards Greater Sandplover? I think the subspecies of Greater Sandplover normally found in Oman is the smallest one.

I'm pretty sure that they're Lesser. I don't have a specific view on the wing bars, but the structure of the bill is very typical for Lesser. Atlhough columbinus (the smallest billed ssp of Greater) has a smallish bill, the structure would still be different (less blunt tip and a more extensive bulge on the upper mandible). Check this illustration made by Dave B:
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=100374&d=1187667386

Last edited:
The wagtail in the link given by CAU is very confusing...

If one removes those greenish feathers on the mantle, you get a (almost) perfect Citrine... wing bars excepted (a bit thin for Citrine).

For reasons outlined by others, I agree with a Citrine Wagtail, albeit a tatty one. For the heron, also believe it to be Indian Pond Heron rather than Squacco Heron (but it is not a 'classic' Indian Pond and a high resolution crop showing the lores better would help clarify).

Thanks all for great responses! Very educational.

Regarding the Heron I do not have any sharp high-resolution images of the loral area, unfortunately. They are already cropped a good deal. The only other picture I have is even less sharp than the others. It does however show the mantle better.

Thanks again!
Gabriel

Attachments

• Oman7edt.jpg
    Oman7edt.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 54
This latest shot I think confirms it as Indian Pond Heron, there is a distinctive dark line from the eye to upper bill, cutting through the lores. Squacco would not show this. Earlier pictures hinted at this, but were not so clear.

Below are images of two birds, illustrating the difference, both photographed in Oman last month (presuming I haven't made a mistake ;) )

Attachments

• Indian Pond Heron oman 1.jpg
    Indian Pond Heron oman 1.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 57
  • Squacco Heron oman 1.jpg
    Squacco Heron oman 1.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 56
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back