• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawfinch on Orkney with a ring. (1 Viewer)

Paul Higson

A Hawfinch has been on Orkney for the last couple of days bearing a metal ring with numbers 8244367 - no letters.

Anyone any idea where it may have been rung?

Cheers,

Paul

The only ones for Hawfinch on crbirding are these.
http://www.cr-birding.be/ but still probably best contacting the BTO

c-ring.

BTO Ringing Unit, Mark Grantham, Recoveries Officer, British Trust for Ornithology, The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 2PU, United Kingdom.

tel: +44(0)-1842-75.00.50. ; fax: +44-(0)-1842- 75.00.30.

e-mail: [email protected]

note 1 : all birds ringed in Britain & Ireland.

note 2 : used colours are : red, dark blue, yellow, white.

-----

3 c-rings. (right leg = 2 c-rings ; left leg = metal below c-ring).

BTO Ringing Unit, Mark Grantham, Recoveries Officer, British Trust for Ornithology, The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 2PU, United Kingdom.

tel: +44(0)-1842-75.00.50. ; fax: +44-(0)-1842- 75.00.30.

e-mail: [email protected]

note 1 : all birds ringed in Britain & Ireland.

note 2: used colours are : red, light blue, yellow, orange, black, light green, white.

Pauls Hawfinch isn't colour ringed, so cr-birding website is useless. Its a foreign ringed bird so best got through www.ring.ac . Just a warning, it might take a while for detail to get back to you, they often do with birds ringed outside of the UK. A quick email direct to BTO might speed things along though??

Pauls Hawfinch isn't colour ringed, so cr-birding website is useless. Its a foreign ringed bird so best got through www.ring.ac . Just a warning, it might take a while for detail to get back to you, they often do with birds ringed outside of the UK. A quick email direct to BTO might speed things along though??

I realised that, that why I mentioned about contacting BTO

Thanks Marmot and Luke,

We have gone down the "official lines", but I was hoping that someone might recognise the ring sequence etc as originating from a specific country.
Just have to wait and see I guess.

Reading The Migration Atlas the Stromness Hawfinch is in quite a select group. There have only been two foreign rung Hawfinches ever recorded in Britain.One ringed on the Czech border of Germany 27 March 1962 was on Shetland 7 May 1967, and probably more relevant, a male ringed in southernmost Norway on 11 October 1990 was found dead on Fair Isle on 10 April 1994.

Fascinating.

Cheers,

Paul

there was a recent recovery in the forest of dean, it was also from Norway.

Last edited:
Thanks Marmot and Luke,

We have gone down the "official lines", but I was hoping that someone might recognise the ring sequence etc as originating from a specific country.
Just have to wait and see I guess.

Reading The Migration Atlas the Stromness Hawfinch is in quite a select group. There have only been two foreign rung Hawfinches ever recorded in Britain.One ringed on the Czech border of Germany 27 March 1962 was on Shetland 7 May 1967, and probably more relevant, a male ringed in southernmost Norway on 11 October 1990 was found dead on Fair Isle on 10 April 1994.

Fascinating.

Cheers,

Paul

That is interesting as on the 20th February I noted a metal ring on the right leg of a Hawfinch at Danemead Herts which is the SE corner of the county and also in the London recording area.

I also looked at the source you quoted and also looked at subsequent Herts Bird reports and discovered that 4 had been rung in the county in 2002 but not since.

This bird was photographed (not by me) and not well enough to note any details on the ring but it would be interesting to compare any photographs to see if they could be the same bird.

Joan

Joan

is that a red ring? If so i think it could be form the forest of dean. Jerry Lewis has ring a couple of hundred over the past few years and hes been colour ringing them.

is that a red ring? If so i think it could be form the forest of dean. Jerry Lewis has ring a couple of hundred over the past few years and hes been colour ringing them.

No it was a silver coloured metal ring only. Looked the same as BTO rings

Joan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back