• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nice and Close (1 Viewer)

erizzo

Yesterday when walking around in my yard in Southern Chile I was surprised to here the Austral Trushes upset (more than ussual) So I looked under a tree were I saw the Zorzales (Austral Thrushes) and was surpriesd to see my first owl since I'm living here for 3 years. It was a beautiful Burrowing Owl so I walked closer and closer but it wouldn't move so when I got to about 2 or 3 feet away it flew a few yards away and stood and looked at me until my very stupid dog came to have some fun with the owl and scared it away.

Today I was bored so I went walking outside and while I was walking through the bamboo I saw my first Viudita or Patagonian Tyrant hoping around very close to me.
So today I got to 114 birds since I came back to Chile in 2001.

Erik

erizzo said:
Today I was bored so I went walking outside and while I was walking through the bamboo I saw my first Viudita or Patagonian Tyrant hoping around very close to me.
So today I got to 114 birds since I came back to Chile in 2001.

Erik
Thanks Eric, great to hear you're doing so well down there. No matter where you are in the world, there always seems to be a dog around to scare off the birds.
What sort of habitat do you have around you where you live? You could pretty well have anything with your country's amazingly diverse countryside.
Regards,
Andy

Well I live in the South of Chile that has dense forests of native trees and thick native bamboo too. But I live in a 7.5 acer property 15 minutes away from Temuco and in my property I have a dense native swamp that is full with water in the winter but I ussualy never see almost anything in there, I also have fields close by and bamboo and native tree forest, and orchard and much more so I'm pretty lucky to have so much diversity in suck a small space.
In the property I have seen around 43 spicies of birds but I like going to go to national parks in the Andes to see some more. Soon I want to go to the north again to be abel to see more of the 473 birds seen here.

Erik

It just sounds wonderful, to me! I LOVE to just go for walks, hoping to see whatever crosses my path instead of looking for something specific! I, too, have a dog that seems to interrupt those special circumstances when one has to be quiet and careful...blast it! But, how is your photography?? Do you bring a camera with you when you explore? Sounds like you have had some real good photo ops!!!
Cheers! to many more!
Shelley
I, myself, have put a digital camera down on my Christmas List!

sorry but I'm only 14 years old so I'm not into photography get but I would love to soon, maybe digiscoping.

Erik

Last edited:
erizzo said:
Well I live in the South of Chile that has dense forests of native trees and thick native bamboo too. But I live in a 7.5 acer property 15 minutes away from Temuco and in my property I have a dense native swamp that is full with water in the winter but I ussualy never see almost anything in there, I also have fields close by and bamboo and native tree forest.

Erik
Hi Erik,

Do you by any chance know what species of trees you have in your area?

Michael

Well in the area that are native the most common are probably the Araucaria araucana, Drimys Winteri, Peumus Boldus, Persea Lingue, Embothrium Coccineum, Luma Apriculata, most of the family Nothofagus and hole bunch more.
Erik

erizzo said:
Well in the area that are native the most common are probably the Araucaria araucana, Drimys Winteri, Peumus Boldus, Persea Lingue, Embothrium Coccineum, Luma Apriculata, most of the family Nothofagus and hole bunch more.
Erik
Hi Erik,

Super, thanks . . . the Embothrium coccineum will be nice to see in 2 or 3 months ;) I've seen them planted in gardens here, and they're stunning

Michael

You are coming to Chile? If so it would be nice to know where you are plannig to go.
I've got a bunch of Notros (Embothrim coccineum) in my property.

Erik

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back