• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple of hours at Little Marlow GP (1 Viewer)

ashrich

Registered , should be certified .......
England
Hi all , I spent a couple of hours late morning / early afternoon at the Little Marlow GP , also known as Spade Oak GP , today , very warm , humid and noisy !! . I actually lost count of the Common Terns and their young as there just seemed just too many , plus they never seem to stay in one place for long , plunge fishing and feeding hungry noisy juveniles all the time . Loads of gulls there too , blackheaded , common , herring and lesser black backed , 2 Little Ringed Plovers and a Dunlin all sitting on the large spit cause by the washing out of the gravel . Walking further round I found quite a few parties of Long Tailed tits together with adult and juv Blue and Great tits , and a single Tree Creeper , almost like a winter foraging party ! . On the side by the railway line a Whitethroat was perching and feeding quietly on its own , and a stock dove was sitting on the line itself . Along the hawthorn hedge that runs parellel with the railtrack small birds flitted about , difficult to say what they all were , the vegetation at this time of year is too dense , but the newish reed stands were alltogether different , they were alive with Reed Warblers , I counted 19 adults and juvs . These reedbeds seem to be a newish addition to this pit , not too big , the water depth at the edge falls away steeply , but they are long , going for quite a few hundred yards . The main lake itself has changed a lot over the years and now has more geese than it ever had , large groups of greylags abound together with egyptian geese and the ever present canadas . Kingfishers also seemed very active today , at least 5 were arrowing back and forth from the low overhanging trees and shrubs . Another thing of note for this site is the quantity of butterflies , I counted 13 species including my favourite , the small copper , also .......Wall , Gatekeeper , Comma , Common Blue , Holly Blue , Meadow Brown , Peacock , Small Tortoiseshell , Small Skipper and large white , plus cinnabar moth ( and caterpillar ) and 6 spot burnet moth . All in all a good few hours during what is usually a quiet time of the year .

Ashley.

Quiet but getting less so, I think. We had a marvellous two weeks in Northumberland and saw plenty, but, as you say, some of the songbirds need vast amounts of patience to discern.

A fine report, too - thanks!

Hi Helen , thought I'd check the whole area out before our visit there , had Reed Warblers just 6 feet away from my face , didn't even need bins , more intent on feeding young than worrying about me ! . Holly asked nicely if she could appear on this forum , who am I to deny her that little bit of fame ................. :-O

aww...that's nice of you regarding Holly.

Reed warblers so close? Wow, I'll have to take my camera along when we visit.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back