• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Titchfield Haven, Hampshire, Wednesday 28/7/04 (1 Viewer)

Vectis Birder

Itchy feet
As I a only working in a part-time temping capacity, I get a fair bit of spare time to do what I want to do, and that obviously includes birding. Ok, I go birding whatever the weather, but today was so glorious it was a shame to waste it just hanging around the city.

A few miles east of Southampton, on the road towards Gosport, lies Titchfield Haven, a Hampshire County Council-owned nature reserve. It actually lies to the south of the village of Titchfield, in the village of Hill Head, on the shores of the Solent. The reserve lies at the mouth of the Meon River and is a superb place for birds, even in the summer months.

I drove down via the M27, leaving the motorway at Junction 9 (Segensworth) and headed for Titchfield.

Once there, I parked, paid my fee and headed for the Meonshore Hide (on the South Scrape), after watching 7 Oystercatchers flying out from the reserve over the Solent. The hide had quite a few other birders inside, all seemingly retired - I was easily the youngest there, by far, and I am in my mid-thirties!

I spent a couple of hours in the hide and there was a good amount of birds of various species:

Black-Tailed Godwit: plenty - I lost count!
Bar-tailed Godwit: 1
Common Tern: their numbers must have been in the low hundreds.
Roseate Tern: these have been at the Haven for some time now, and someone reported 7 the other day, but I only saw one today.
Common Sandpiper: 1
Green Sandpiper: 1
Lapwing: 2
Avocets: 4
Woodpigeon: 11
Moorhens
Coots
Dunlin: 17
Ringed Plover: 1
Sandwich Tern: again there were a few of these, but not in the numbers that the Common Terns were.
Shelduck: 2
Spotted Redshank: 1
Grey Heron: 1
Buzzard: 1
Oystercatcher: at least 7
Black Headed Gull
Common Gull

I did miss a couple of good birds though: A Black Tern that landed at the reserve, but then flew off out over the Solent again and a Wood Sandpiper.

I did see a small passerine that I did not recognise. It landed on top of a bramble thicket and had a grey head, pale yellow breast and brown upperparts. Sadly, as it was none too close, I did not get a great view and could not see any feather detail on the tail, or any bill detail, etc. It flew with a dipping flight and was on it's jack jones - no other birds were with it. Any ideas? I cannot seem to find it in Collins, although admittedly I have not had a thorough look as of yet!

Entry to the reserve costs £3.30 and I consider it to be excellent value for money. I am not sure about public transport there - I have never seen a bus in the vicinity of the place and there isn't a rail station nearby - but there is plenty of parking (free parking at that - always good!) and the place is within cycling distance of Lee-on-the-Solent. The reserve is open from 0930 - 1700 Wednesday to Sunday and their website can be found at www.hants.gov.uk/countryside/titchfield. It is always well worth a visit.

Last edited:
A nice selection that makes it sound similar to Dawlish Warren. I shall have to pay a visit one day.

The two birds you missed would have been a lifer (the Tern) and a year tick for me!

I am in my sub mid thirties!

Faith said:
Black-Tailed Godwit: plenty - I lost count!
Bar-tailed Godwit: 1
Common Tern: their numbers must have been in the low hundreds.
Roseate Tern: these have been at the Haven for some time now, and someone reported 7 the other day, but I only saw one today.
Common Sandpiper: 1
Green Sandpiper: 1
Lapwing: 2
Avocets: 4
Woodpigeon: 11
Moorhens
Coots
Dunlin: 17
Ringed Plover: 1
Sandwich Tern: again there were a few of these, but not in the numbers that the Common Terns were.
Shelduck: 2
Spotted Redshank: 1
Grey Heron: 1
Buzzard: 1
Oystercatcher: at least 7
Black Headed Gull
Common Gull

I did miss a couple of good birds though: A Black Tern that landed at the reserve, but then flew off out over the Solent again and a Wood Sandpiper.
Loads of birds there! Wish I could've seen all of those! As I've never really been to a good-for-birds coastal habitat most of those would've been lifers.... I'm going to Minsmere soon and I hope to catch the booming bitterns!

An interesting read and plenty of information about the reserve - i`ve been before - but always find the opening times a bit frustrating!
Well done on the Roseates - still need to see one this year...but they`re on the agenda for the weekend ;)
As for the bird you missed - apologies if i`m being patronising but it couldn`t have been a Whitethroat could it?

It could well have been, to be honest Jason, with the grey head. The light could have made it appear to be something else...I will not attempt to put a name to it until I see it again, but yes, Whitethroat is the most likely candidate, on reflection.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back