• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fungi id please. (1 Viewer)

Need a couple of Fungi books for Christmas presents. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Ideally something with UK only fungi and non-scientific names.

Hi Phil.

I use the following guides:

Collins Fungi Guide (by Stefan Buczacki, Chris Shields & Denys Ovenden)

Mushrooms (by Roger Phillips) often referred to as Rogers Mushroom Guide)

The Encyclopedia of Fungi of Britain and Europe (by Michael Jordan)

I can't really recommend any other publications as these are the only three i have ever used. I'm sure Nick will be able to advise further and endorse, or otherwise, the above publications i have pointed out.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards,

Dave.

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure whether Dave will agree, but I think Roger Phillips is the best of these suggestions.

Cheers,
Nick

I agree Nick, i prefer the text and illustrations in this guide. I rarely use the Michael Jordan guide now, it was included in the three as it was the first fungi guide i purchased.

Are there any other guides that you might recommend Nick?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back