• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boquete< Panama (1 Viewer)

phukan

phukan
I am thinking of taking a trip to the highlands of Panama, around the town of Boquete. I would like to know if it is possible to stay at one of the cheaper hotels in town but still bird on the property of the Canopy Lodge. I cant quite afford the rates they charge at the lodge.

My questions:
1. How far is canopy lodge from the town of Boquete?
2. Is there public transport or a taxi that can be taken from the town to Canopy Lodge.
3. What other birding areas are there within easy reach of Boquete that dont require staying at an expensive lodge.

Phukan,

Unless there has been a change I'm not aware of the Canopy group of lodges/camps does not have a property in the Boquete area. The Canopy Lodge is in Valle de Anton. Perhaps you are thinking of Finca Lerida? It's a nice property with good birding and fairly expensive rooms just above Boquete.

To answer your question more directly, you should be able to find a place to stay in Boquete and you can bird above town in many places for free, notably along the Quetzales trail. You can also stay in Cerro Punta on the other side of the hill and bird the Quetzales trail from that side, along with some other sites near Cerro Punta.

In Cerro Punta you can stay at the Los Quetzales Lodge in town relatively inexpensively or in their cabins for a fair price (have to bring your own food and the like), with amazing birding just around the cabins.

The Panama birdfinding guide is a good reference:
https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Finding...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4T5DFZAXSW3PEFWJ3DF6

There is an update published electronically available here:
http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu...extras/Where-to-Find-Birds-in-Panama-2014.pdf

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back