• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Melbourne - Tasmania ferry, any good for birds? (1 Viewer)

Pierre van der Wielen

This autumn I will visit Australia for the first time. We'll start at Tasmania and from there on go to Victoria and then towards Sydney.

One of the things we are considering now is taking the Devenport - Melbourne ferry to try for seabirds and ceteceans. Beats flying... But I cannot find any information about this ferry. Is it any good for birds or is it just blue desert? Does anyone here has any experience with this ferry?

This will be in november of this year.

Regards,
Pierre

I only thing I know about the Tasmania ferry is that it can be booked up for months in advance. When I was in Australia I could not get to Tasmania as there was a three month waiting list. I could have gone over but could not get back. This depends on the season. People from Tasmania go north for their winter and come back in their Spring. Suggest you check that out before making plans. If you are just a passenger without a vehicle, this would not be a problem.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back