• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Atlasing (1 Viewer)

Victor Soares

Hi All,

I have recently (Oct 2016) moved to the UK from South Africa and am keen to continue with my occassional birding. I understand that the variety of birds is maybe not the same as SA but I must say that the places I have visited so far are really nicely set out - nice pathways, information, maps, etc ... SA has nothing anywhere near this good (besides the large game parks, of course).

However, as the title of the post suggests, one very cool "map" that was available to us was quite a comprehensive Atlasing map put together by numerous volunteers and available as a resource online (here is a link if you are keen http://sabap2.adu.org.za/). My question thus - does the UK have something similar?

I currently live in Sheffield which is a great area for birding but am soon moving south to the greater london area (probably Surrey?) so any tips for places to visit out there would also be greatly appreciated!!:t:

Cheers for now,
Victor

However, as the title of the post suggests, one very cool "map" that was available to us was quite a comprehensive Atlasing map put together by numerous volunteers and available as a resource online (here is a link if you are keen http://sabap2.adu.org.za/). My question thus - does the UK have something similar?

There is indeed:

https://app.bto.org/mapstore/StoreServlet?id=376

If you click on 'Maps' in the left hand side, you can change the maps to show patterns through the different Atlas projects in Britain and Ireland. Fascinating to see fall/rise of some species (Corncrake is a good example). You can also view, and contribute sightings through BirdTrack (used by local recorders).

Can't help much with birding locations in London/Surrey other than mentioning that Rainham Marshes is a great site.

Thanks ... that's awesome.

If I may ask ... when it says Breeding and then Wintering does that tie in with the spring-summer and autumn-winter months or is that genuinely breeding in UK?

Also the last maps show 2011 so I wonder how much has changed in the last 6 years ....

Thanks ... that's awesome.

If I may ask ... when it says Breeding and then Wintering does that tie in with the spring-summer and autumn-winter months or is that genuinely breeding in UK?

Also the last maps show 2011 so I wonder how much has changed in the last 6 years ....

Yes, these are the results of the most recent breeding bird Atlas, which also included survey work on wintering birds. This took place from 2007 to 2011. BirdTrack is currently filling in the gaps in knowledge to the next Atlas period.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back