• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fritillaries 2 - Dordogne (1 Viewer)

MTem

A few undersides to see if I've got them right. Some I'm pretty sure of after Collins and the fritillariesID website, but there is quite some variation within the same species it seems, especially as they become older/bleached?

1. Weaver's
2. Meadow
3. Meadow
4. Glanville
5. Spotted

Mick

Attachments

• Jul17-010FR.jpg
    Jul17-010FR.jpg
    776.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Jul17-137FR.jpg
    Jul17-137FR.jpg
    658.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Jul17-167FR.jpg
    Jul17-167FR.jpg
    639.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Jul17-173FR.jpg
    Jul17-173FR.jpg
    814.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Aug17-062FR.jpg
    Aug17-062FR.jpg
    720.6 KB · Views: 33
Agree with 1, 4 and 5.
You might be right on 2 and 3 but I think there's not enough there to be certain... and yes, they vary quite a lot...
By the way, what website you're mentioning would that be?

This one Rafael

http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/fritillariesID.htm

What other options for 2&3? I probably have oppressed of those if that might help.

Mick

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I already knew that one, but I'm always hoping a new website, or webpage pops up with detailed info on how to distinguish deione, parthenoides and athalia :) These 3 are the main source for confusion around here (especially deione/parthenoides) and I'm making progress mainly by getting my own data and making sense of it (photos) with the help of countless sources, none of them perfect; in many cases individuals can only be ID'd by examining the genitalia, but I don't do that (I don't even like capture them with nets). Athalia is less of a problem (and over here we have the distinctive nevadensis, not athalia; Collins is outdated in that respect). The Pyrgus page on that website is just great and I've been using it for some years now.
So I guess I'm answering your question, my main issue would be with telling parthenoides/Meadow from deione/Provençal only by observing the underside. An open wing shot of the upperside would make it easier; the underside is especially useful when front and hind wings are totally spread out, and thus allowing you to observe the whole frontwing underside for the discal mark on space 1a (it should be slanted in parthenoides) and the shape of all submarginal lunules (I hope this is not too technical). And still there may remain some (or a lot of) doubts.

Thanks Rafael,
Autocorrect has turned uppersides into oppressed in my post #3!
I will see what I can find to show upper wing and see if that can help you decide and me to learn!

Mick

Thanks Rafael,
Autocorrect has turned uppersides into oppressed in my post #3!
I will see what I can find to show upper wing and see if that can help you decide and me to learn!

Mick

No worries, I understood what you meant. I guess we're all learning here, I wouldn't dare to pretend I'm teaching anything when it comes to fritillaries! :) I'll only be able to reply in 1 week though as I'm currently packing and won't have internet for a week.
Cheers!

Another possible female Provencal, but this time I got a (poor) underwing shot to go with it. Does this help?

Mick

Attachments

• Jul17-209FR.jpg
    Jul17-209FR.jpg
    852 KB · Views: 41
  • Jul17-210FR.jpg
    Jul17-210FR.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 37
Thanks Andy - I'll go with probable for now and see what Rafael (and others) say when he returns.

Moick

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back