• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ten targets for 2017 (1 Viewer)

This Night Heron was acting pretty tame close to the vast Cattle Egret colony at La Janda in SW Spain last month. Not entirely sure what the little pink tassel on it's breast is though.

Clearly a wild bird though!

Attachments

• night heron.jpg
    night heron.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 130
Here's a pic of a certainly wild Night Heron from Hong Kong that could hardly be tamer! Don't give up on your bird too soon!

Cheers
Mike

Attachments

• BCNH @ DB.jpg
    BCNH @ DB.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 114
Night Herons in the Falklands are reluctant to move when you walk straight at them (on account of them being in the middle of the track etc) - I suspect if we try to list all the populations of Night Herons that show approachability in the wild we will be here for a while. It ought to be a non-issue.

John

Thanks for the encouraging words chaps, and the pics! To be honest the tameness doesn’t bother me at all, it’s the subspecies. I don’t know if any hoactli have been accepted in UK (although It’s likely some have made the crossing, eg John’s Scilly '85 example on the other thread would seem a good candidate), but if you look at other American species of Heron reaching UK & Eire you’re looking at 9 Green, 2 Great Blue and a Snowy Egret accepted to date plus whatever’s pending (don’t know where things are at with Little Blue at the moment). For me that makes a wild American Black-crowned Night Heron far far less likely than a wild European one, and rarer claims require greater scrutiny. So it’s not written off entirely, just pending. Of course this raises the question of pending what, exactly? Would BBRC/BOURC consider claims of this subspecies, even though the species is no longer a rarity? And that’s all supposing the extent of white above the eye is sufficient to nail this as a hoactli, and I’m not in a position to speak with authority on that. Tell you one thing though, it was a fun bird to see!

July 9th

Not had much chance to get anywhere recently, although enjoyed seeing Red Kites, Yellowhammers, Hares & Marbled Whites at a recent family camping get together near Oxford.
Today, though, we had a morning window and there was no question as to how it would be spent. Bee-eaters are such iconic birds, what tyro birder hasn't gazed wistfully at their likeness down the generations, from Tory Peterson to Google? So we struck out east early this morning, got royally stuffed by some execrable signage for the detour round the closed A50 the other side of Stoke, but eventually found ourselves in the makeshift Bee-eater car park near East Leake. A short walk later and we were in business, with up to four of the vivid little bundles, sallying for the from their favoured Ash tree perches and helping themselves to the local bees, butties & dragons. Although distant we could still hear them calling away from time to time, and they put on a fine show, whizzing dart-like and slender, to and fro, class birds. Plenty of Six-spot Burnets along the path on the way back to the car too, as well as a Small Skipper and a couple of Ringlets.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0335 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0335 - Copy.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    109.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0300.JPG
    IMG_0300.JPG
    274.8 KB · Views: 146
July 22nd

Hobby over the garden the other day caused much excitement, with other garden goodies including baby Great, Blue & Coal Tits, Nuthatch & Great-spotted Woodpecker on the feeders, Blackcaps scoffing wild raspberries by the car park and a very vocal but unseen Green Woodpecker from time to time.

And now the summer hols are here, and things kick off with a camping weekend in Cambridge for this year's big family do. That provided an irresistible opportunity to go looking for Stilts up at Ouse Washes RSPB. First up was a Yellow Wagtail in the car park, the first of several, all juvvies, the thrill of an immaculate spring male still awaits them. A Green Woodpecker was sat up on Kingfisher Hide as we headed along the track, with a showy Sedge Warbler in the ditch alongside and a Red-legged Partridge shuffling along the track ahead of us. Nice little scattering of waders from Stockdale hide, Green Sandpipers, a good gathering of just post their prime Ruff, some Blackwits and a couple of Dunlin. No sign of any Black-winged Stilts, though, and I hadn't seen any positive news for nearly a week, but not to worry, after ten minutes or so the adults appeared way off to the left followed a little while after by both youngsters, full set, nice one! We spent a while watching them, picking up a year tick Greenshank along the way, before it was time to head off to the gathering, well pleased with the morning's outing.

Attachments

• IMG_1083.JPG
    IMG_1083.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 130
  • IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    289.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1278.JPG
    IMG_1278.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1302.JPG
    IMG_1302.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 123
July 29th - August 5th

Family holiday in Pembrokeshire, no real wildlife focus but always pick up a bit, starting with distant scope views of one of the Dyfi Ospreys from a layby on the A487 at first light. No sign of King Eider further on at Ynyslas unfortunately, but picked up Whimbrel and Sandwich Tern for the year, as well as Manxies just off shore from Borth.

Then it was a week of Pembrokeshire staples like Chough, Stonechats, Rock Pipits, Peregrine and the like, as well as poking around in rock pools, with highlights being several Spider Crabs laden with saffron roe on Newgale beach which also stumped up beach find of the week in the form of a live Sea Mouse!

We did manage to fit in a boat trip out to Grassholm, where the thirty odd thousand pairs of Gannets provided a multi-sensory experience (we even managed to get crapped on, yeeuk!!). Kittiwakes and Puffins were handy year ticks, and a constant supply of close up Manx Shearwaters was delightful, but star bird was European Storm-Petrel, with a total of four seen, zipping past. Mammals were hard come by, with single figures of Grey Seal and Common Dolphin, neither really hanging round for good views.

King Eider was missing again as we passed yesterday evening, too late at 20:30, perhaps gone to roost? Certainly the Swallows were settling down for the night, alighting on the sand to roost after a good feed over the saltmarsh. Eider reported again this morning, but don’t fancy the two hour drive back for it!

Attachments

• IMG_1664.JPG
    IMG_1664.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2502.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG
    318.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_3332.JPG
    IMG_3332.JPG
    379.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2877.JPG
    IMG_2877.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2936.JPG
    IMG_2936.JPG
    288.7 KB · Views: 128
A few more...

Attachments

• IMG_3069.JPG
    IMG_3069.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2883.JPG
    IMG_2883.JPG
    190.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3157.JPG
    IMG_3157.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3142.JPG
    IMG_3142.JPG
    268.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3436.JPG
    IMG_3436.JPG
    168.3 KB · Views: 120
August 7th

Fairly quiet round here, but had a nice potter round Burton Mere Wetlands with good views of Great White Egret (a bird I always only ever see way in the distance across marshes or lakes, or occasionally as a flyover, so a close up bird actively fishing was something of a treat) as well as some out in the open Reed Warblers filling up on bugs.

Attachments

• IMG_3585.JPG
    IMG_3585.JPG
    203.2 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3624.JPG
    IMG_3624.JPG
    261.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3591.JPG
    IMG_3591.JPG
    212.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_3455.JPG
    IMG_3455.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3470.JPG
    IMG_3470.JPG
    197.9 KB · Views: 146
You seem to have done pretty well during the summer doldrums - the last pic of ther Reed Warbler is a cracker!

Any pix of the Sea Mouse or the spider crabs?

Cheeers
Mike

You seem to have done pretty well during the summer doldrums - the last pic of ther Reed Warbler is a cracker!

Any pix of the Sea Mouse or the spider crabs?

Cheeers
Mike

Cheers Mike

Sea Mouse is #88 pic 3, Spider Crab (carapace c 20 cm across) is attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3308.JPG
    IMG_3308.JPG
    285.5 KB · Views: 123
August 18th; part I

With a three day weekend and the Mrs off at a festival I rather fancied a boys only road trip, and saw an opportunity to combine a target bird (Surf Scoter) with something a sight rarer (White-winged) as well as maybe a day tracking down Crested Tit and whatever else we could find in Speyside. With Farnboro John also considering an assault on Murcar for Saturday we decided to meet up. In the end the forecast for our day in Speyside was ferociously bad, so I hatched an alternative plan.

We arrived at Druridge in the gloomy dawn and sat in the car breakfasting on bowls of cereal while we waited for the light to improve, and once fed set out to explore, soon finding our way to a tin hide that clanged awfully if you move wrong, but this didn’t seem to upset the birds, I guess they’re used to it. First off we were treated to a float-by from a Barn Owl, and then it was time to get on with some peep scanning while the boys watched a Song Thrush beating snails against the path behind the hide. Finding the White-rumped Sandpiper in amongst the Dunlins proved pretty straightforward, even with the flock upping, swirling about and resettling fairly frequently it was always easy to relocate, looking much cleaner and grey and white in amongst the scruffy browner Dunlins, with its neat whitish super also singling it out. Occasional scans around failed to reveal the Spotted Crake that was found here later in the day, but not to worry.

Just up the coast from Druridge an adult Caspian Gull has been hanging out in the harbour sporting a nice yellow polish ring. Now, Caspian Gull is one of those new birds that has been washed up by the taxonomic tides during my years in the wilderness, and since my return to the birding fold I have managed to muster up no enthusiasm whatsoever to go looking for one. I mean, I spent some time looking through the Gulls at Minsmere when we were there in spring last year (or at least, I sat near a couple of other chaps looking through the Gulls and eavesdropped), but I’ve never actually been for one. An individually marked bird so close to out route could not, however, be ignored, so it was off to Amble next. We were met in the harbour by plenty of Eider & Goosander, some fishing Common Terns, as well as a couple of very out of habitat looking Rabbits and of course there were Gulls. Plenty of Gulls, but none sporting a yellow ring and there is only so long that I can bring myself to look for a Herring Gull that is not a Herring Gull (an hour it turns out, and then only because it was nice and sunny and there were some other birds to watch). We ended up leaving empty handed, and I have a bad feeling that as a result of our failed attempts to date Caspian Gull is going to be nominated as a target bird next year...

Attachments

• IMG_3858.JPG
    IMG_3858.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_4084.JPG
    IMG_4084.JPG
    223.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4169.JPG
    IMG_4169.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4254.JPG
    IMG_4254.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 123
August 18th; part II

Next stop was a new site for me, and one I knew little about, beyond reports of varying numbers of Roseate Terns in the high tide roost of late; Budle Point. A quick check of the map suggested the site would be best approached from Bamburgh in the east, and doing so we parked easily a little under two hours before high tide on the road up towards the golf club and started to explore. There were a few Sarnies and Black-headed Gulls on the rocks below the car, could that be where the roost forms? Lots of disturbance from dog walkers and sundry tourists saw the little flock constantly rising up and seeming to disperse before returning a few minutes later, but when a kite flyer arrived they bailed for good, and I decided to explore further afield. We walked north west, enjoying a nice selection of common waders, Eiders loafing off shore, until we spied, way out on the sand at the water’s edge, a lively gathering of Terns. Scope deployed and sure enough there appeared to be a number of much paler birds in amongst the Commons. We repositioned a good bit closer, and while predictably some of the paler birds were Sandwich there were also at least a couple of smaller Roseate Terns. We spent a while grilling the flock, relocating the Rosies (none of them looking particularly pink as it happens) each time they settled after dreading, taking it in turns at the scope as I did my best to run through the salient features of the birds. The walk back along the beach provided ample opportunities to play, (our next destination was Aberdeen which was forecast to be very wet till early evening so I was in no hurry to get going) as well as to just take in the glorious scenery.

Once we did get going there was one more stop before journey’s end, as we pulled in at the border lookout on the A1 and while I cooked up some hot dogs in the back of the car the boys entertained themselves by running into Scotland and then back out again. Refuelled by hot dogs & coffee it was on the road again, arriving in a drizzly Aberdeen late afternoon to scan from the esplanade, three Surfies having been reported from there a couple of hours previously but there was nothing doing for us. Another scan after pizzas had the same result so then it was off to Travelodge where we rounded the day off drinking beer (or apple juice) watching old Top Gear on Dave. Well, it is a boys only road trip!

Attachments

• IMG_4284.JPG
    IMG_4284.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4335.JPG
    IMG_4335.JPG
    205.7 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_4348.JPG
    IMG_4348.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_4360.JPG
    IMG_4360.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 128
I can see 6, possibly 7 Roseates in your pic IMG_4335, and 5 (4 ad, 1 juv) in IMG_4348 :t:

They tend not to be so pink this late in the summer, but can still show a faint pink tinge.

I can see 6, possibly 7 Roseates in your pic IMG_4335, and 5 (4 ad, 1 juv) in IMG_4348 :t:

They tend not to be so pink this late in the summer, but can still show a faint pink tinge.

Cheers Nutcracker. I confess I was more focused on locating obvious unobscured individuals for the boys to tick than trawling through for an accurate count, but certainly didn't appear to be the forty-some that have been reported of late. Achingly beautiful stretch of coast though, I was mighty impressed.

August 19th

Next morning was a massive improvement weather wise, calm, dry and bright, and we headed off early to Murcar to begin our search, arriving at around six. Sea duck were not hard to find, plenty of loafing Eiders, all eclipse, making any search for Kings all the harder, particularly as our main quarry would be in amongst Velvet Scoters. These too were not hard to find, and so my search for White-winged Scoter began. Again and again I went through the scattered bands of Velvets seeking the odd one out, again and again I came up blank. After half an hour or so I did at least manage to locate one of this year’s last remaining target birds; a drake SURF SCOTER, initiating a frenzied spell of turn-taking on the scope until everyone was happy with their views of the motley-nosed beaut. After three hours of searching scan-fatigue was setting in, and the rising sun was carpeting the ocean with sparkling jewels, all pretty enough but a right royal pain in the butt for detailed examination of distant wildfowl.

Time for a break, so off we headed to Newburgh for a bit of a poke around. Highlights here included fledgling House Martins sitting up on a slate roof, a handful of sum plum Knot in a small wader roost providing both year and plumage tick and of course the Seal colony, mostly Grey, but a few Common too. Plenty of Eiders hauled out on the sand too, but no sign of royalty. After lunch (hot dogs again) we headed back to Murcar for another round.

Much improved light now the sun had moved round rendered us greatly improved views of the Velvet Scoters but still no White-winged. A couple of full plumage Red-throated Divers provided a nice distraction but after nearly three more hours frustration started to set in, particularly when the Surfie was relocated but insisted on staying asleep. He was an odd individual, seemed to lack the white nape patch, even though the bill and forehead patch were pretty full on when he occasionally, briefly, awoke and looked around. Trouble is, when asleep with head tucked away from us he was basically just black. Had he been fully marked his white nape patch would have singled him out. Still, he couldn’t sleep forever, so I resolved to stay on him until he finally roused himself. And then the heavens opened, and it poured down, and within seconds we were drenched, I stuck it out for all of five minutes, convinced it would pass quickly, but it just seemed to be getting worse, so in the end we cut and run, making it back to the golf club car park… just as the sun came back out! By now it was nearly four, and we were dripping, and the wind was out of my sails. Time for home, with the highlight of the journey being figuring out how to operate the cruise control, meaning that when we got home at around eleven I ached one hell of a lot less than usual after a long drive like that!

Attachments

• IMG_5073.JPG
    IMG_5073.JPG
    230.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_4665.JPG
    IMG_4665.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4687.JPG
    IMG_4687.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_4824.JPG
    IMG_4824.JPG
    196.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_5185.JPG
    IMG_5185.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 123
And some Seal pics...

Attachments

• IMG_4754.JPG
    IMG_4754.JPG
    224.7 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4736.JPG
    IMG_4736.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_4772.JPG
    IMG_4772.JPG
    211.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4852.JPG
    IMG_4852.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4909.JPG
    IMG_4909.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 118
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back