• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (1 Viewer)

SHRIKE.....1st timers who looked like Dad and daughter got it around Middle Oak around 4pm.

Lower Bittell.Still quiet with Swans nesting in reeds on Mill Shrub - no Grebes here.
Lots of Grebe and Tufteds on lower with Buzzard always around as nest nearby.
Kingfisher patrolling the stream moving towards canal.
A small flock of Redwing were feeding on the trees around the corner by the parking place.

The Upton Osprey failed to turn up ..but probably I was late or maybe it was on upper, in which case the above people from the Shrike field got it as I told them it was worth going up there as they were new to Bittell.

Rain stopped play ...early bath around 5.30....so much for the clocks giving extra spotting time.

keith :t:

managed to get these processed...

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 47 015.JPG
    2014 Canon 47 015.JPG
    309.6 KB · Views: 100
  • 2014 Canon 47 024.JPG
    2014 Canon 47 024.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 104
Had a good look round Bittell over weekend, lots of Chiffchaff about but not a lot else. 1 Swallow over horse paddocks on path to Upper. Does any one know where Ring Ouzels were seen last Thursday. Lots of stuff to come in yet heres hoping for a spell of better weather than todays mirk

No idea where Ouzels are but still searching.

Shrike was showing well in middle of field fhen all of a sudden flew up onto large Poplar beside road then off over road and ploughed field....just going to look over there....then to work.
Keith

Was hunting in the middle of the field when I spent my lunch hour down there. Was back on the big oak when I left though.

3 swallows over, and a buzzard further up near the Westmead doing a very good impersonation of a kite - made me look twice as I drove past.

No idea where Ouzels are but still searching.

Shrike was showing well in middle of field fhen all of a sudden flew up onto large Poplar beside road then off over road and ploughed field....just going to look over there....then to work.
Keith

On top of the Poplar...

Attachments

• 2014 Canon 50 010.JPG
    2014 Canon 50 010.JPG
    277.2 KB · Views: 102
I don't think the shrike has been seen for a couple of days now. I couldn't see it when I went down just after 1pm. I did think when I saw it on Tuesday that it was flying around more than usual, and wondered if it was about to leave.

Harder to see across there now anyway, as there's a heat haze and the small trees and bushes are getting leaves on them.

Yes it was doing more random longer flights and whdn it was ul kn the Poplar I am sure it "waved" or it could have just been wing flickkng to keep on the branch....lol.
The local dog walking man with little black dog said he saw it around the back of the fishery on Wednesday around 11am.....but when I sneaked along rjver to the gap in hedge over there I did not see it but a girl was with her dog so it could have been lying low .
If it has gone lets hope it makes it and returns sometime.
Keith

Keithr

If the Shrike is not in "the log book" I reckon its signed out for the year!

Thanks for all your reports over the last 3+ months, very informative, and brill photos

Richard

Hi folks, can any regulars advise me whether this site is accessible on foot or via public transport? I've wanted to check it out for ages but sadly do not drive...

Hi xFritzx......Heres some info from a few years ago on here.........

Hi Sy V...had a go on google earth and tried to put the areas you can walk with the parking etc.
BittellMAPcopyjpgDDDD.jpg

A...4/5 cars can park here...it's a dead end so don't go past here.Also you can walk north up the track and over the fields on the North Worcester Path but some of the signs have "gone missing"..maybe THEY don't want us going past their palaces.
B...this is the dam- wall - bank etc and the only view you get of upper Bittell.
CParking along road and at end of the path between upper and lower Bittell.Watch out here as some cars have been broken into here.
D...the road between the 2 small resers.
EDon't walk down the path to the cottages along side the canal but use the towpath on the other side of the bridge.
/QUOTE]

Theres Trains to Barnt Green which is only down the road.
Busses run along the Redditch Road through Hopwood and Alvechurch and on the other side they run to Rednal.Not used busses for a long time but a quick google should help you.

I hope some of this is useful to you.
Keith[

Thanks Keithr!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Sy V...had a go on google earth and tried to put the areas you can walk with the parking etc.
BittellMAPcopyjpgDDDD.jpg

A...4/5 cars can park here...it's a dead end so don't go past here.Also you can walk north up the track and over the fields on the North Worcester Path but some of the signs have "gone missing"..maybe THEY don't want us going past their palaces.
B...this is the dam- wall - bank etc and the only view you get of upper Bittell.
CParking along road and at end of the path between upper and lower Bittell.Watch out here as some cars have been broken into here.
D...the road between the 2 small resers.
EDon't walk down the path to the cottages along side the canal but use the towpath on the other side of the bridge.
/QUOTE]

Keith[

Hi Keith!!!!!!!!!
I have seen your guide map on here before and have looked at it but never followed it or done a complete circuit. Today I finally took the plunge and used your map for a run around Bittell Res. What a great circuit it is!!!!!!! I saw all my favourites; 2 heron on some flood water which later took to the sky and flew overhead, great crested grebes, tufted ducks, a nesting Swan pair, a buzzard overhead and a long tailed tit taking nesting material from the reeds. Then finally I hung around the bridge/dam on Bittell Farm road and was rewarded with the distinctive shrill whistle/call 'chi-keeeee' or is it 'tee-chiiiiiiii' and a kingfisher flew under the bridge and up and over the dam before going back up the river where I could repeatedly hear it calling 'tee-chiiiii, tee-chiiii, tee-chiiiii'. Great!!!!!!!!!! And cheers, I finally broke my Bittell Res, kingfisher duck!!!!!!!!B :)

Last edited:
Well done on 2 fronts ...getting MY Kingy...lol ..and understanding my map ...he he.

The Buzzards are nesting in the trees by the stream but not located it yet...the one - probably the Male does some low level flyovers.
The place has been so populated with Anglers of late for anything of interest to be about....that's why the King is staying ion the stream more.
The roadside bushes around the stream area are good for Chiffchaff,Goldcrests,L.T.Tits,Treecreeper ,Woodpeckers,Song Thrush.....not bad for such a small place.

Keith

Around The Fields

Quick upload as off to work in a mo.....

Been hanging around all the fields around the area and have seen these (apart from the usuals)....

Swallow
Blackcap
Whitethroat
Chaffinch
Linnet
Goldfinch
Skylark
Lapwing with Chicks
Not a lot but most time taken up with waiting in amongst bushes etc.....
Keith :t:
p.s. crap movie of Chick..https://www.flickr.com/photos/68459774@N05/14063507941/

Attachments

• New Canon 7 070.JPG
    New Canon 7 070.JPG
    355.2 KB · Views: 68
  • New Canon 7 066.JPG
    New Canon 7 066.JPG
    364.4 KB · Views: 65
  • New Canon 7 099.JPG
    New Canon 7 099.JPG
    288.2 KB · Views: 76
  • New Canon 6 111.JPG
    New Canon 6 111.JPG
    321.1 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
More of the same just outside Alvechurch yesterday.
A few squabbles between the Crows/lapwing/Buzzard and Kestrel.
Highlight was a Hare ...1st one I have seen around here for 30 odd years...and then mostly only the head.
Keith

Attachments

• New Canon 9 056 low.jpg
    New Canon 9 056 low.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 50
  • New Canon 9 064 a.jpg
    New Canon 9 064 a.jpg
    448.5 KB · Views: 57
  • New Canon 8 050.JPG
    New Canon 8 050.JPG
    433.6 KB · Views: 63
  • New Canon 8 003 A low.jpg
    New Canon 8 003 A low.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
....and the Buzzard and Crows.
Keith

Attachments

• New Canon 9 136.JPG
    New Canon 9 136.JPG
    275 KB · Views: 61
  • New Canon 9 138.JPG
    New Canon 9 138.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 63
  • New Canon 7 087.JPG
    New Canon 7 087.JPG
    426 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Lark ascending

Things were on the up.....
Keith

Attachments

• New Canon 8 016.JPG
    New Canon 8 016.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 81
  • New Canon 8 017.JPG
    New Canon 8 017.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 50
  • New Canon 8 022.JPG
    New Canon 8 022.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 62
  • New Canon 8 024.JPG
    New Canon 8 024.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 49
Sorry to bore you with the Skylarks but..

Loads of Lapwings around the Fishery at Abbey as well as Goldfinches in all the bushes.R.L.Partridge on edge of road back from Fishery.

Anglers at Lower Bittell put everything off around the water but had some Whitethroat in the nearby fields and my 1st Damsel of the year.Small Whites and Orange Tips (and me) were battling with the wind and cars on the causeway.

Keith :t:

Attachments

• 05052014_17_filtered.jpg
    05052014_17_filtered.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 52
  • New Canon 11 033.JPG
    New Canon 11 033.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 57
  • New Canon 11 141.JPG
    New Canon 11 141.JPG
    899.3 KB · Views: 50
  • New Canon 11 143.JPG