• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

550 EX Speedlite (1 Viewer)

Merop

William Wilson
I looked at this flash gun today and was informed it can be used off the camera (wireless mode) but the sales guy did not know if it gave full E-TTL or Autoflash with Automatic Ratio Control does anyone know?

To use off camera you need either another 550, or a ringflash MR14EX (and i'd guess the MR24EX) or ST-E2 on the camera. As far as I know you then have full e-ttl. To get ratio control you do of course need at least 2 flashes; both the st-e2 or 550 can set the ratio, i think using the ringflash gives less control.
Andrew

Thanks for the link Benji, and the info Andrew I can see how it works now, wireless TTL flash when combined with ST-E2 Transmitter & multiple 550 EX's.

In my previous set-up I used an Olympus OM2n with two T32s, one on the power grip the other through the TTL cord this would allow a cordless set-up and may be a good solution for my macro work.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back