• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northumberland flowers ID (2 Viewers)

Have to say I disagree with Nutcracker + believe your plant is indeed Perforate St. John's-wort. Your second photo does show translucent dots on the leaf + the stem seems to show 2 raised lines.
Yep, agree now - I was looking very quickly late last night and didn't have time to check properly ;)

OK, here we go, a couple more.

The first, I am pretty sure, is Sticky Groundsel, but would appreciate any comments.

And the second, growing on a river-bank.... I have no idea!

Attachments

• sticky_groundsel.jpg
    sticky_groundsel.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 102
  • unknown_Ponteland.jpg
    unknown_Ponteland.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 89
Correct with Sticky Groundsel.

Second is the often naturalised Monkey Flower-probably Mimulus guttatus, but can't totally rule out the common hybrid from the photo.

And three more (this just seems endless, so I'm sorry if this is all getting too much)!

The first I guess is some kind of Fabaceae, perhaps some kind of vetch, but I'm confused by the single flower, and lovely veining on the petals

Next, a platn growing at the water's edge along the river Wansbeck

And the third I think is a clover of some sort, possibly just red clover, but the size of the flower is confusing (very tall)

I have another orache I'm struggling with which I might post, but I've a couple of resources still to look through!

Attachments

• unknown_fabaceae.jpg
    unknown_fabaceae.jpg
    617.2 KB · Views: 90
  • unknown_CI.jpg
    unknown_CI.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 90
  • unknown_clover.jpg
    unknown_clover.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 94
A couple more from the last 2 weeks, both from the coast.

The first was from a couple of weeks ago out a Druridge Bay. It strikes me as being very similar to teasel, but this was much smaller than what I am used to seeing, with a flower head not much bigger than clover, and only about 10cm tall.

And the second was from this weekend, growing on the edge of the dunes at Blyth harbour. I can't decide what this is, as it doesn't have hairy leaves (Cat's Ear), nor narrow, tapering bracts (Autumn Hawkbit)

Attachments

• unknown_DB.jpg
    unknown_DB.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 103
  • unknown_asteracea.jpg
    unknown_asteracea.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
1 is just a rather depauperate Teasel, Dipsacus fullonum
2 probably Smooth Hawksbeard, Crepis capillaris, which can be pretty variable.

Thanks! Now I just need to sort through the 30-40 different fungi photos from Bolam Lake this weekend.... No doubt I'll be coming on here to my other thread with 25-35 requests for identification!!

A couple more from the weekend.

Is the first Common Fumitory, or another Fumaria species?

The second, I am not sure about, possibly some kind of ragwort species? Found along the sea wall in Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Finally, not a flowering plant, but can anyone put a name to this spleenwort from this rather poor photo. It was growing on the sea wall in Berwick, so I am guessing it is Asplenium marinum, but I am not at all sure.

Attachments

• common_fumitory.jpg
    common_fumitory.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 109
  • unknown_asteracea_Berwick.jpg
    unknown_asteracea_Berwick.jpg
    402.9 KB · Views: 93
  • spleenwort.jpg
    spleenwort.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 106
It was growing on the sea wall in Berwick, so I am guessing it is Asplenium marinum, but I am not at all sure.

Asplenium marinum is very different; it's also very scarce in Northumbs, only 2 or 3 places where it occurs - easiest is the cliffs at Cullernose just south of Craster, where this pic was taken. Also supposed to be at Crag Point at Seaton Sluice, but I've not been able to find it there, so it's probably extinct there.

Attachments

• Picture 029a.jpg
    Picture 029a.jpg
    861.8 KB · Views: 91
Thanks Nutcracker! I should probably stick to flowering plants for now...I struggle enough with them, already!

But then.... just to check on another polypod.... is this Hart's Tongue?

Attachments

• hart's-tongue.jpg
    hart's-tongue.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 89
I'm a bit behind on my floral identification efforts, so have a few going back a couple of months..... any help, as always, very much appreciated!

The first was from May.

The second, from late May, I think is Columbine, but the flower colouring is very pale(?)

And third up, is this Common Fumitory again, but it's much less well-formed than the earlier picture I posted, and the leaves seem somewhat different? Found growing in a fallow field.

Attachments

• NBL_flower1.jpg
    NBL_flower1.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 85
  • NBL_flower2.jpg
    NBL_flower2.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 63
  • NBL_flower3.jpg
    NBL_flower3.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Next up, an unidentified fern.... I think this is a kind of Shield Fern, but would welcome confirmation. I guess it can't be said what it is exactly... or?

Attachments

• NBL_fern1.jpg
    NBL_fern1.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 74
Finally, this succulent plant growing on the edge of the River Wansbeck. Not sure if it's natural or planted deliberately... and no idea where to start with ID!

Attachments

• NBL_succulent.jpg
    NBL_succulent.jpg
    547.6 KB · Views: 67
I'm a bit behind on my floral identification efforts, so have a few going back a couple of months..... any help, as always, very much appreciated!

The first was from May.

The second, from late May, I think is Columbine, but the flower colouring is very pale(?)

And third up, is this Common Fumitory again, but it's much less well-formed than the earlier picture I posted, and the leaves seem somewhat different? Found growing in a fallow field.

1 Common Milkwort, Polygala vulgaris
2 Garden Aquilegia cultivar escape
3 Common Fumitory, Fumaria officinalis

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back