• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Tanager (1 Viewer)

deidrahall

Birdacious
Hello everyone out there in birdland |=)|
I live in Victorville CA about 1.3 miles from Mojave Narrows Regional Park. Last summer while in my backyard something brightly colored caught my eye. I saw that it was a bird and my first thought was "someone's pet bird" got loose because I had never seen a bird of these beautiful colors here in the high desert. It ended up being 2 of them both of the same color so I looked it up on line and identified them as Western Tanagers! I saw them again within a months period. NEVER have I seen them anywhere else up here. Not even at Mojave Narrows. Sooooo the question is are they common up here in the high desert? How come I've only seen 2 in the 10 years that I've lived here? I'm baffled :h?:

Attachments

• Western_Tanager.jpg
    Western_Tanager.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 61
I don't think that they are uncommon in this part of California. EBird has a fair number of records of them at Mojave Narrows Regional Park:
http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L387148

Wim

Thank you Wim for your reference on this! I went ahead and bookmarked the link site for the future. I literally can see Mojave Narrows from my backyard and am only right down the street. Last time I took a walk through the park I saw some Western Bluebirds that were really neat. I'd like to see them around my backyard some day. I'll keep an eye out for the Tanager's this summer! Once again "thank you" |=)|

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back