• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

To buy an eyepiece (1 Viewer)

Anasplat

Hello everyone! I am trying to look information for to buy an eyepiece. I have the telescope fieldscope 82 ED angled and I am not sure which eyepiece is good. I want to use for birdwatching.

I have seen this one Nikon 13-40x/20-60x/25-75x MC II but I never proved.If someone could help me!

I am sorry for my English!

Anasplat,

If I am not mistaken the Nikon 82 ED usually comes with the 25-75x zoom though most folks find issue with either the eye relief or the narrow field of view (the rest of the image is gorgeous). If you are looking for versatility then go with the zoom. Personally, I would probably opt for just the 30x wide angle eyepiece as 30x typically provides all the magnification I need but also with such a wide field of view.

Just my opinion though.

Hello everyone! I am trying to look information for to buy an eyepiece. I have the telescope fieldscope 82 ED angled and I am not sure which eyepiece is good. I want to use for birdwatching.

I have seen this one Nikon 13-40x/20-60x/25-75x MC II but I never proved.If someone could help me!

I am sorry for my English!
A good sample 25-75X eyepiece is as good as it gets with a few exceptions. Eye relief is poor for eyeglasses above 25-30X and the field of view is narrow in comparison to wide field eyepieces. I have the ED82A with all the lenses and the two I prefer are the 30X DS (near perfect viewing) and the 25-75 MC II zoom. The 50X and 75X DS lenses, though excellent lenses, just aren't that useful.

For that scope, I also recommend the 30x DS and the 25-75x zoom. If you do _a lot_ of scoping at ~50x (e.g. some types of sea or mud flat watching), you should get the 50x rather than the zoom.

--AP

I use the 38xw almost exclusively with this scope. I had the zoom but sold it after two outings for the reasons above - it was a great bit of kit but the field of view made it unusable for me...

Thank you Rosbifs, I think I did a bad choice. I wanted the telescope for birdwatching and I like looking and find birds but the zoon all people say that is narrow and the option of the DS I don´t like it because sometimes i see birds very far and I need a zoom. So I need to think, maybe It would be better to choose anothe telescope.

Another vote for the 38xw, I have the 30xw but never use it and I also sold my zoom because I just never got on with such a narrow field of view. I have thought about getting a 50x and getting rid of the 30. Enjoy your scope - one of the best!

One of the best? I don´t think so when it is needed to have a zoom. :(

It _is_ a great scope. Why do you need a zoom? I use 30x on my scope over 95% of the time. If you like a little more power get the 38x that others have suggested. It will have all the field of view that you need, and will be a very usable power. What more will the zoom get you, a maximum of 75x? That is only about a 2x increase in linear dimensions over what you will see through the 38x.

--AP

It _is_ a great scope. Why do you need a zoom? I use 30x on my scope over 95% of the time. If you like a little more power get the 38x that others have suggested. It will have all the field of view that you need, and will be a very usable power. What more will the zoom get you, a maximum of 75x? That is only about a 2x increase in linear dimensions over what you will see through the 38x.

I don't agree. I use the zoom on my Nikons more than 90% of the time, simply because I need the option to switch to high magnifications quickly. There are quite a lot of situations were the high magnifications of the zoom are needed to clinch an ID. And with Kimmo's ingenious cable-tie finder the small field of view doesn't matter that much.

I also don't like using fixed 30x eyepieces because of the depth of field. Especially when scanning bushes and the like I prefer lower magnifications, like the 20/25x of the zoom on the EDIIIA and the ED82 respectively.

Hermann

One of the best? I don´t think so when it is needed to have a zoom. :(
Back to basics...

Do you own the ED82A scope body?
Do you currently have a lens? If so, which one.
Do you wear eyeglasses?
Are you able to just buy a different scope? If so, how much can you afford?

Hi Anasplat,,bienvenido al foro,,,,where do you live?..if you are near barcelona i can help you adapt some nice and inexpensive astronomy eyepieces for the nikon ...dont regret the purchase and get the zoom...the ED 82 is one of a kind with its mega 525 mm focal lenght..meaning that is a powerful beast that grants a lot of magnification ..80mm scopes usually have 480 mm and 60x is the limit for most scopes with a standard zoom..you will get 75x,and with the excellent correction of the scope ,useful to the very limit..it does make a difference ...

Good questions...

I have the Scope Body and the 20x eyepiece, not mine, a friend lends me. I go with people that have zoom and see more than me and when a bird is very far, they put the zoom and we can see them better or know which species is. They have Swarowsky and kowa, I know that I can not buy one... The Swarovsky seems much better than Kowa and the mine..., the price is very diferent too.

I don´t wear eyeglasses

I live surrounded by marshes and sea so you can imagine that I use to see birds very far.

I want a zoom but I don´t want a narrow view. I don´t know... I will think

Thank you!!!

Last edited:
Hi Anasplat,,bienvenido al foro,,,,where do you live?..if you are near barcelona i can help you adapt some nice and inexpensive astronomy eyepieces for the nikon ...dont regret the purchase and get the zoom...the ED 82 is one of a kind with its mega 525 mm focal lenght..meaning that is a powerful beast that grants a lot of magnification ..80mm scopes usually have 480 mm and 60x is the limit for most scopes with a standard zoom..you will get 75x,and with the excellent correction of the scope ,useful to the very limit..it does make a difference ...
Thank you very much but I am in the south!! So you recomend me the 75x?

--AP

I need a zoom because sometimes the birds are very far and It is dificult to know which species is or to see better some features. But I am thinking about your recomendation ;), thank you!!

I own this scope, and I find it better than the swaro 65HD, Leica 77apo and Kowa 823. The image is just super bright and sharp. If you don't wear glasses then at 25x you may find the fov to be wide enough, and at 75x the image is still sharp and bright. I usually lift my glasses up and find no problem whatsoever. I mainly use the 30x DS, which with this scope is pretty much as good as any of the current top models. Certainly good enough to ID all birds (depending on your ability of course!) in most conditions even at a good range. The other option would be the 38x which would make an excellent all rounder based upon what the others have said. Enjoy your scope, I won't be selling mine anytime soon!

Good questions...

I have the Scope Body and the 20x eyepiece, not mine, a friend borrow me. I go with people that have zoom and see more than me and when a bird is very far, they put the zoom and we can see them better or know which species is. They have Swarowsky and kowa, I know that I can not buy one... The Swarovsky seems much better than Kowa and the mine..., the price is very diferent too.

I don´t wear eyeglasses

I live surrounded by marshes and sea so you can imagine that I use to see birds very far.

I want a zoom but I don´t want a narrow view. I don´t know... I will think

Thank you!!!

Ok.
Since you do not wear eyeglasses AND you own the ED82A body...

The zoom at 25X gives plenty of FOV and I have absolutely no trouble finding what I'm after. Find it at 25X and then zoom to inspect. I then back off to 25X to get a better FOV. The image at 25X is great! The range from 25-75X (on mine and many others) is sharp and as good an image as you will find. Use a good tripod.

The 25-75X is available on Amazon (shipped from Japan). for about $270 USD. I've ordered two this way and both are perfect. Search amazon with: nikon 25-75x

Good luck!

PS
I can use the scope while wearing eyeglasses but it's much better when I don't. You should have no trouble.

My wife uses this zoom on her ED50A (it becomes a 13-40 zoom). She loves it and that's after trying every other lens we own.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back